Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

G35 coupe or sedan

mykinator
03-31-2003, 05:10 PM
I just wanted to bring this issue to light because it seems that a lot more people are favoring the coupe over the sedan, and I feel strongly for the sedan. When I look for a car, I generally base my opinion on three things:

1) acceleration / handling / braking
2) styling
3) passenger space

I view both sedan and coupe to be similar in their road manners. coupe reaches 60 in 6.0, sedan reaches 60 in 6.1. They both brake from 60-0 within 10 feet of one another. They both run the slalom within 2 mph of one another. I think this kind of difference is virtually indistinguishable.

As for the styling, I think both cars are beautiful in their own ways. The sedan is noticeably LARGER than the coupe. When you stand next to the sedan, it feels like a $60G car and not a $35G car. The coupe looks like a combination of a 350Z and Porsche 911. I have nothing against either of them, I must agree the coupe looks more muscular. But sometimes bigger is better, and the sedan is big!

Passenger space is the difference to me. Some people prefer small, snugger cars. Personally I prefer a car with more space. I think smaller cabins sometimes get rather claustrophobic and feel "cheap". I mean, some time down the line you won't want to roll the car into every curve and drive the thing like a rocket; you just want to cruise home after a long day of work, and for that a larger cabin just feels more luxurious and spacious, like first class seats on a plane. As a bonus, the sedan seats 5.

I think passengers like to stretch their legs and shoulders and prefer larger cabins too (and, of course, feel the G-forces when you accelerate). Don't get me wrong, if I had to choose between a slow car with a large cabin (Lexus ES) and a fast car with a small cabin (G35c), I would obviously choose the latter since performance is most important to me. But if you could have both size and performance for a cheap price, why wouldn't you?

dubiux
04-02-2003, 01:02 AM
If passenger comfort is really important to you, then the sedan would probably be the better choice for you. Space and comfortwise, the rear passenger seats in the coupe are okay for short distances, but probably not for longer ones. It also has the following issues for carrying passengers in the rear:

1. No memory seats. PITA for the driver.
2. Seats take forever to go forward.
3. Very little head room.

deadmaninc
04-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Actually the coupe goes to 60 in 5.7 sec

Tidal
06-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Watch Out! The paint is very soft and subject to easy dammage on these cars. You would be better off with somthing else.

Muuvova
06-05-2003, 03:32 PM
I recently purchased the 6MT Sedan, with the sport package (black on black, of course). I have to tell you, the car is AWESOME and extremely comfortable. I drove it, along with three other adult passengers to Vegas. I live in Santa Maria, Ca. Made it to Vegas in less than 5 hours and let me tell you it was a VERY comfortable ride. With reclining back seats and ample leg and head room, you can't go wrong. Not to mention impressive power even with four full size adults and a loaded trunk. The car pulls hard, easily manuevers in and around traffic, and looks great. I'd say, you can't go wrong with the sedan. I have to also agree with you, the sedan looks and feels like it's a $60K car.

I wouldn't mind having 300+ hp though. I'm looking forward to NISMO upgrades soon.

Tidal
06-06-2003, 07:41 PM
Versatility is the name of the game here. When I was a senior in high school I drove a 62' Vett. (IN ALASKA) I loved the way the car looked and so did my dates, but that was as far as it went. That car was good for nothing except gettin tickets and lookin' real suave. I could get one maybe two bags of grocerys in the passengers seat, not to mention the steering wheel is about a foot and a half away from your chest. Forget about getting a little, because believe me we tried and It wasn't possible with all your body parts inside the car. Of course things have changed now, but if you use this same idealology for a four door, why not a station wagon? Because, It just ain't cool. Match your vehicle with your needs, remember what your transport is for. I want a coupe too, but I have a family. It would be dumb midlife crisis stuff for me to buy a two door unless I bought both a two and a four. Then all I would need is a truck, a boat, a jet ski, .......

Add your comment to this topic!