Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 Optima Door Won't Open

cmbsound
05-21-2009, 02:48 PM
So I've noticed this happening to a lot of people, but haven't read any good information for fixing it.

I have an 03 Optima with a passenger side door that won't open from the inside or the out. Obviously, the panel won't come off because I can't open the door... so I can't physically see anything.

The lock on that door is kinda funny, it doesn't like to flip to the unlock side fully, but if i push it towards unlock and hold it there then try to open the door I can feel the 'pop' that normally would be fromthe door opening, but the nothing happens.

If anyone has any information that could help it would be greatly appreciated.

RidingOnRailz
09-30-2009, 10:34 PM
So I've noticed this happening to a lot of people, but haven't read any good information for fixing it.

I have an 03 Optima with a passenger side door that won't open from the inside or the out. Obviously, the panel won't come off because I can't open the door... so I can't physically see anything.

The lock on that door is kinda funny, it doesn't like to flip to the unlock side fully, but if i push it towards unlock and hold it there then try to open the door I can feel the 'pop' that normally would be fromthe door opening, but the nothing happens.

If anyone has any information that could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Find the best rack you can in town - or a town over - and have the frame checked for bending. Are you the original owner or second hand? Sounds like that thing experienced some unusual force - either an accident or road hazard. Does the car pull to one side when you let go of the wheel? A crooked steering wheel is not necessarily the result of a bent body, but if the car goes to one side or the other it might be indicative of that. Roll up the windows and hit 55-60 on the highway. Radio & air turned off. All loose items fastened down or removed from the car. Now: any unusual wind noise from around any of the doors??

What tipped me off and made me suggest this was the behavior you described of that lock. If the frame was indeed bent and they correct it, that door should pop right open and close up with just a flick of the handle.

Let us know.

Add your comment to this topic!