Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

89 Civic with 93 D15B dies when warm.

Carwhisperer
04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
I have an 89 Civic Wagon that came with a d16a6. It now has an obd1 JDM D15B. I am running it on a P28 ECU. It ran great for a year this way but now it dies after it warms up and will not restart for about a half hour. I put a new distributor in about 6 months ago. After it died yesterday I checked the resistance for the three sensors in the dizzy, cylinder sensor, crank position sensor and the third one (RPM sensor?). All three came out within specification. I checked to be sure the big black/yellow wire going to the dizzy was hot and it does have battery voltage. I checked the coil resistance values and they were just out of spec. I subbed in a coil from an OBD2 dizzy with the same specs and the same thing happened. Started, got warm, died, wouldn't start. After it dies it won't run on starting fluid and I can still hear the fuel pump running so I doubt it is a fuel issue. Additionally, I grounded a plug after it died and it has no spark. Is it likely my dizzy is bad, even though it was new 6 months ago? Could it be the wires to the ecu? The ecu will still cycle the fuel pump and the CEL after the problem occurs.

meberra
06-29-2009, 08:25 AM
sounds like the main relay to me. i remember a trick where u have to re-solider some points on it. try searching that i think is may be your problem.

Add your comment to this topic!