Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'05 Mustang Concept

Nitrous
03-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Presented as a two-seat fastback coupe and convertible, the Mustang GT concepts are strong indicators of the next-generation Mustang’s design direction. Their exterior designs are clearly inspired by some of the extroverted Mustangs of the past and have been created by a design team that took an introspective approach to updating a classic design. The GT concepts are two-place sportscars: one a coupe and the other a convertible. Both cars started out with a significantly modified Ford Thunderbird rear-wheel-drive architecture. The platform was sectioned to achieve the proper proportion. The front-end geometry is all original – customized to accommodate the signature Mustang MOD 4.6-liter V-8. The coupe conjures images of 1967 and 1968 Fastbacks while the convertible brings back cues of the early Shelby Mustangs, especially in its “show bar” and wide-element tail lamps. Zooming in from the trademark silhouette, an aficionado will appreciate the modern interpretation of the sleek nose of the 1967 models. Yet, the car is uniquely modern thanks to taut surfaces and high-tech hardware. The Mustang GT concepts’ adaptive headlamps are like technical jewels. Two concentric rings are shielded behind a single lens. The rings rotate in a helix pattern to zoom in and out like a professional camera lens. From a single light source, the Mustang GT concepts use fiber optic ribbon to deliver adaptable light levels through their highly focused lenses. An upward rake angle makes the cars appear to be in motion even while at a standstill. The 20-inch wheels and 13.8-inch vented Brembo® disc brakes are pushed out to the corners and anchor the design to the road.
The functional hood scoops help the supercharged engine breathe as it churns out nearly 400 horsepower. Naturally, the engine bay is a focal point in both cars. It boasts a MOD 4.6-liter 90-degree cast-iron block V-8 with aluminum heads, a belt-driven supercharger and a liquid-to-air intercooler.

Powertrain:
Drivetrain layout Front engine, rear-wheel drive
Engine type 90-degree MOD V-8, cast-iron block, aluminum heads, belt-driven supercharger with liquid-to-air intercooler
Valve gear DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Bore/stroke, in/mm 3.55 x 3.54/90.2 x 90
Displacement, in/mm 280.8 / 4,601
Compression ratio 8.5:1
Horsepower @ rpm 400 @ 6,000 (estimated)
Torque @ rpm 390 @ 3,500
Redline, rpm 6,500
Transmission 6-speed manual (coupe)
5-speed automatic (convertible)
Axle ratio 3.55:1
Final-drive ratio 2.24:1
Chassis
Brakes Brembo 13.8-in vented disc
Wheels (front)
(rear) 20 in x 8.5 in aluminum
20 in x 9.5 in aluminum
Tires (front)
(rear) 245/40ZR20 BFGoodrich g-force T/A
275/35ZR20 BFGoodrich g-force T/A

Dimensions
Body style 2-door coupe and convertible
Seating capacity 2
Legroom, in 44.0
Shoulder room, in 57.6
Hip room, in 54.9
Headroom, in 37.0
Length, in 182
Width, in 74.7
Height, in 50.8
Fuel capacity, gal 18

Nitrous
03-29-2003, 07:30 PM
Another pic.

Nitrous
03-29-2003, 07:33 PM
Rear view.

SuPeRcAr_MaN
03-31-2003, 02:52 PM
...Seen the pics a ton already, still not crazy about it, but is nice for a Mustang. I am waiting to see what they change for production...

kaoru-tochiro
03-31-2003, 02:55 PM
What a failed attempt to try to cling to their "heritage" they took Fords greatest classic design and completely butchered it.:apuke: 5 thumbs down!:mad:

TexasF355F1
03-31-2003, 04:21 PM
While its grown on me, I still give it a thumbs down. Try something a little more orginal FORD.

grandprix92
03-31-2003, 08:08 PM
see, ford sucks completly. they try and bring back all the old shit. they have the most idiotic dumbasses woring for them.

kaoru-tochiro
04-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by grandprix92
see, ford sucks completly. they try and bring back all the old shit. they have the most idiotic dumbasses woring for them.

Don't you think you're beind a little tragic? they don't suck "completely" maybe a little. This latest design does not pay homage to the timeless classic, the design incorporates cues of the 60s models but the stocky apearance just ... :apuke:

BigJustinZ28
05-11-2003, 03:47 PM
I think the 05 mustang is a beautiful concept. I love the look of it and i'm no ford enthusiest by any means !!!

fordjay16
06-28-2003, 11:17 PM
funny how everyone seems to hate ford but they sell so many more cars than chevy. :biggrin: I'm not tryin to be cocky i hope chevy brings back the camaro so the pony car battles can continue. :bigthumb:

stangvette1
07-08-2003, 07:04 PM
I have heard rumors that the next cobra will have 500 horsepower. That will be awesome! The concept car looks so sweet!:smile:

Stealth LSC
08-07-2003, 11:13 AM
i'm very much a ford fan, but ill tell you what, i saw the new concept(one of them) for the camaro on the cover of popular hot rodding and i was scrounging for a 5(dont carry cash, gotta love plastic :D) the classic design and the masculinity oozing from both concepts just sets the scene for the battle to return...and im all for it :icon16:

grandprix92
08-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by kaoru-tochiro

Don't you think you're beind a little tragic? they don't suck "completely" maybe a little. This latest design does not pay homage to the timeless classic, the design incorporates cues of the 60s models but the stocky apearance just ... :apuke:

of course i am. Im a Chevy fan so i have a very buyest opinion. hell, ill even defend a Geo Metro (though there's really no hope for them) if i feel the need. i suppose i can see why Ford tried to bring back the old look of their cars. hell, look at PLymouth with the ugly-ass PT=cruiser. people didnt care it was underpowered. it looked like an older car. so they bought it. the best concept car that will be a real car that Ive seen with the older styling is a Chevy SSR. and thats not a buyest opinion. i like the idea of a convertible truck. i used to always want one when i was a kid. then i saw the SSR and fell in love. but thats just me.

Hudson
08-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Stealth LSC
i'm very much a ford fan, but ill tell you what, i saw the new concept(one of them) for the camaro on the cover of popular hot rodding and i was scrounging for a 5(dont carry cash, gotta love plastic :D) the classic design and the masculinity oozing from both concepts just sets the scene for the battle to return...and im all for it :icon16:

Unfortunately for you, there's no approved plan for a new Camaro. Any picture you saw was just an "artist's rendering."

tigermiata
08-07-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by grandprix92

i have a very buyest opinion.

:spit:

Stealth LSC
08-07-2003, 10:46 PM
cgi rendering if ya wanna get techniical, but i still say if the bring it back(most likely), itd be great to see that pasticular one make the cut

waycool9
09-29-2003, 12:37 PM
It sure kicks ass on the old 80's and 90's stangs...the new design....with the "retro" look.....thats whats selling these days (thunderbird, PT Cruiser, Mini, SS roadster).

PHMaximus
10-21-2003, 02:42 PM
I dont know what u americans (im a Australian) have against Ford. I really do like the new mustang, its a good blend of new & old with a nice touch of class. Now "grandprix92 " I dont think u have a right to bag Ford, what is the silver peice of C**p u dive??? lol its a joke , nice plastic hub caps lol... i own a 1978 XC Falcon GT Coupe 5.8L V8 that has been dyno tested & scored 300hp@5400rpm & 380ft-lb@3400rpm there is nothing special about it. But all i know it will beat a Camaro SS & Z28 off any set of traffic lights, which aint bad for a stock FORD & if u dont know what a "XC Falcon GT coupe" is. Go a search u will find a pic of some. Ford Australia have made a new BA Falcon GT-P 4door V8, DOHC, 32v, 5.408litres & 1825kg with 377hp@5500rpm , 385ft-lb@4500rpm with 0-60mph 6.2 , 0-400m 14.3 which aint bad for a family car under $70,000Australian if u can find a NEW 4Door Family car cheaper & Faster do tell me cuz i cant find one.

have a look at the new BA Falcon GT-P at ....
http://www.fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2.174

Lundvang
11-15-2003, 01:39 AM
Well... The concept pics are fine, but the spy pics..?? http://www.sportbilen.se/e_index.php?page=bildspel.php?cat=mustang2005&go=0
The front was more tasty in the early pics!

longlivetheZ
11-27-2003, 05:19 PM
The functional hood scoops help the supercharged engine breathe as it churns out nearly 400 horsepower.

"Nearly" 400 hp? Wow...that's pretty lame for a Supercharged and intercooled V8. I hope they make the damn cars better then this last generation. The current gen mustangs suck SO horribly. To top it off, you see them all over the damn place and everyone thinks they're great. They're like a damned bacteria. I think the '05 looks better at least. I can't BELIEVE they're using a live rear axle still. However, it's still too far off to know anything for sure. Lots can still change...I doubt the interior will remain that unique...Ford interiors are usually as drab as the padded cells at the loony bin. However, I REALLY like the guages they used on the prototype...the little geary ones...THAT'S cool as hell. I very highly doubt the car will make it to production like that. I mostly just wish the mustang would go away.

Are there ANY official specs yet? One moron I'm talking to in another forum keeps saying how soon the car's coming out. It's not THAT close man...they haven't even released any official specs yet.

It'd be nice if they brought the camaro back. Then the damn mustang guys will have someone else to bitch at...leave the import guys alone. :p j/k

molina_aitor
12-08-2003, 02:39 PM
new mustang looks cool. reminds me of the fastback (which is the coolest mustang) Not to bash you guys but biased was spelt wrong.( and if i mispelled something mt spelling is horible

molina_aitor
03-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Have you guys seen the mustang pics that came out in feb/mar. Those are very close to what the production car will look like. I love it except for some minor details. The spoiler on the GT version has to go for examle. The car has to be lowered by 1 or 2 inches. The driving lights(the 2 plates inside the grill) have to go. Also the rear side windows should be removed and fins like on the fastbacks of yore should be instaled.

D14D
03-12-2004, 08:02 AM
it is a
2003 ford mustang gt concept

RacingFan25
03-12-2004, 10:54 AM
I think the new stang kicks a$s!

Filthy Sanchez
04-27-2004, 05:07 AM
I for one love it reminds me of my 65 fastback. Grandprix92 you speak like a BIASED chevy fan. I for one like chevy and ford however chevy has done nothing for me lately eccept bring back names like Nova, Malibu,Monte Carlo, and Impala on front drive Honda wannabe platforms. They've given us the ugly ass avalanche and then put the ugly ass avalanche front end on their trucks!!! Did you notice they killed the Camaro as well? Actually LonglivetheZ you import guys should leave us alone I just wish the 350Z would go away or at least start to look good, dam that thing is U-G-L-Y with no reason for being.The live rear axle by the way is to keep cost down and most drag racers prefer it, how much does a 350Z cost? I think the new Mustang kicks ASS! RF25 is right.

Add your comment to this topic!