Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just bought a 95 Civic Sedan

t3h_roJo
04-15-2009, 06:51 PM
OK so I just got my first car, a 95 Civic Sedan. The guy I bought it from had just put in a new radiator, water pump, timing belt, gasket, and new CD player. I plan on bringing it into a local shop sometime soon (but would like to get some information about all this before blindly rushing into all this), because I have noticed a few things wrong with the car and want to get them checked out ASAP. I know it's an older car, and to be honest, I'm surprised it is in the shape it is, but I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about cars, and for all I know there might be something seriously wrong with the car that I cannot notice.

Now, the speedometer either gets stuck at 45 mph until I get over 60 mph, or just randomly moves slowly to either the left or right depending on if I press the accelerator or brake, either way, its very inaccurate for the most part. The right side mirror can't be controlled via the buttons by the steering wheel, but moves when adjusted manually (can live with this, but wondering how to fix it). The driver side rear door cannot open (I was told by the guy I bought it from that Honda's have a plastic piece in their doors that often breaks, and I am unsure of the validity of that statement). The drivers seat wobbles quite a bit, I think I might be able to fix that myself if someone can tell me how to.

One of the more serious things that may be wrong with the car is that it loses oil while parked with the engine off after use. It seems the oil loss stops after a while and loses around 10 drops or so, I am unsure of whatever could be causing this and how to fix such a thing. Also the brakes are quite squeaky and I'm thinking the pads may need to be changed, I hear ebay is a good place for cheap parts, but I was wondering what brands a more experienced auto enthusiast may recommend, and any other brands for commonly purchased parts as well, as I intend to fix this car up real nice like.

ctwright
04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Lets start with the oil leak, get some engine cleaner they sell it at your local parts stores. After you get the engine clean, look around it after parking the car. Some areas to look at are the valve cover gasket, head gasket, oil filter adapter(could be leaking around oil filter),the oil drain plug bolt and your oil pan gasket. Could be somewhere else but you should be able to find it with the engine clean. Hope that helps.

t3h_roJo
04-15-2009, 07:29 PM
The guy who had it before me put some engine degreaser on it the day before i picked it up, I'm not sure if thats the same as engine cleaner or not. But I can see where the oil is leaking from, I'm not sure what im supposed to do about it, I'm pretty sure ill need a jack to get a look under the car right? or is there some other tool used to lift up cars to look/work under them that i dont know about?

ctwright
04-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Yes, that is what I meant same thing. Well, where is it coming from? If it's a gasket you need to replace the gasket. You might have to get some jackstands if it is the oil pan gasket.

t3h_roJo
04-17-2009, 04:46 PM
alright the oil leak and the spedometer are ok as of now, will let you guys if know if things go south as far as they are concerned. now i want to start buying some new parts for it, gonna get new brake pads first though, been looking up non stock brakes, and Hawk HPS brakes seen to be one of the few sorts of non stock ones i could find, Im seeing some decent prices for them on ebay, can anyone recommend or disrecommend (if thats even a word) these brakes? and what sorts of parts would you put into your 95 civic to make it nice and fast, or just anything your would prefer to have in yours at all, looking for more horsepower though, im thinking a new header and exhaust pipe might be a good idea, but again, im a noob, so suggestions please

Add your comment to this topic!