Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

shop question

TurboStock
04-14-2009, 02:01 PM
I have a question. I am planning on someday after I finish school opening my own auto painting and detailing. I plan on offering paint and detailing and minor body work (dents dings ect) But one of my friends told me that if I dont have major collision repair in it that I wont be able to make good money at it. is this true?

Mark Lapes
04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Im gonna give you some good advice. Before you concider starting a shop. Get yourself some experience in the industry because ill be honest what they teach you in school is the tip of the iceberg until you get in a real shop.

1ATony
04-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Im gonna give you some good advice. Before you concider starting a shop. Get yourself some experience in the industry because ill be honest what they teach you in school is the tip of the iceberg until you get in a real shop.

This is true.If you can have an older body man show you the ropes.

LearnAutoBody
04-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I agree, it is important to get experience first. However, I believe that you can be successful in a specialized areas. There has been a lot of successful shops that do not offer frame repair. You have two options: work exclusively on minor repairs and paint, or you can accept bigger jobs and sublet frame, mechanical, etc. to other shops. A lot of shops sublet their front end alignments to other shops.

Add your comment to this topic!