Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 civic weird idle surge need help

bearterror23
03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
i recently purchased a 93 civic and it has a weird idleing problem and i have never owned a honda so i was hoping someone here could help me. the car has the 1.5L. when i start it it idles fine for about 2 seconds then it idles high then it goes back down then it goes back up and it continues to do this. it doesnt matter if the car is cold or warm. the surge is always the same and is very consistant. i have checked for vaccum leaks and everything seems to be good there. so now im lost. i need some help. also i noticed that it has a cheapy ram air iintake off ebay and i was wondering if anyone has had a problem with those. i dont have the stock intake so i dont have a way of testing that theory but i was wondering if anyone else has had problem with ebay intakes. thanks

Tofuboy
03-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Possibly you need to clean the IACV (idle air control valve). It should be locate at the back (fire wall side) of the intake maniflod by the throttle body. unbolt it and clean the air passages with crab cleaner.

bearterror23
04-07-2009, 11:25 AM
i posted a video on youtube so you can hear it run the link is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kf3qdG2fxs

i tried cleaning the iacv and it didnt help any. could the iacv need to be replaced.

bearterror23
04-27-2009, 05:33 PM
i replaced the whole throttle body and the surge is gone but now it idles high all the time.

does anyone know how to adjust the idle to make it lower

discnik
04-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Check your Private Messages.

bearterror23
04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
tried adjusting the idle didnt do anything.
also the new throttle body has the map sensor on top of it. my old throttle body has it on the side of the car. i read on a post that doesnt matter similar problem but the numbers are the map senors are different thats why i was wondering if anyone who has switched throttle bodies before has had a similar problem

thanks

Add your comment to this topic!