Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cooling fans not working

The Unknown 7
03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I have a 97 gt, and a slew of cooling system problems, one of them being the fans no longer work. Any suggestions? I have no clue really, I know the maxi fuses seem in tact, but I don't know how to check the mini relays. Any suggestions help greatly. Also, one time during an oil change when the car was jacked up the fans were actually working for a second, however that was the only time they've worked. They stopped working after I had an engine fire due to bad heater hoses. So maybe its a short circuit? I don't know, so please help

richtazz
03-20-2009, 11:58 AM
The fans are controlled through the PCM, and the wiring goes across the front of the car near the hose area, so there's most likely your problem.

TDWPgtp
03-24-2009, 11:16 PM
god i wish i remembered what my problem was. i had the same issue. ill see if i can find my old post. i know i had a bad coolant sensor... maybe a bad thermostat.. all i know is if ur car is over heating and u need to turn the fans on there is a plug from the coolant sensor to the fans located near block near the front of the engine bay. i dont recall exactly what it looks like, but i can find out. anyway if u unplug this your fans will run at high whenever the engine is on. after about 15 seconds they will turn on. its better to have them always on than not on and over heat...

TDWPgtp
03-24-2009, 11:27 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=921807&page=2

unfortunately whatever we did to fix the problem i never posted... but i do know that my temp. gauge cable or whatever it consists of was bad. the gauge on my dash was reading incredibly inaccurately. i think what was wrong with mine was maybe the engine never really got hot enough to need the fans, but i thought it did due to the faulty gauge. have the coolant sensor checked with the scanner that gives u a readout if u have access. if not try replacing the sensor maybe?

do u by any chance have ur engine light on?

Add your comment to this topic!