Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hyundai Sante Fe 2002 Problem update

carmela78
03-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Last night we checked for continuity and it seemed fine from the alternator to the battery terminal. I used my ODB reader and there were no trouble codes in the system. I ordered the repair manual for the vehicle and it should be here in the next few days. Does anyone have any further ideas? The alternator has a post for the battery connector and than a plug for the ECU, does anyone know how to test the ECU connector?

Thanks!

Matt

We have a hyundai Santa Fe 2002 and I suspected the alternator was dead. When the SUV was running the lights were dim, there was fairly strong smell of burning electrical stuff. I measure the voltage at the battery and it came back just over 12V, than after about 5 mins the voltage was down to 11.4. When reving the engine it would go up to nearly 12v but right back down. I removed the alternator and had it tested, I was told it was working fine and pushing over 90A, which makes sense because it's a 110A alternator. Prior to this my wife was driving and said all the lights came on across the dash, when she got home she shut the car off and it wouldn't start again. When I got home it started right up and no lights came on. The belt seemed ok and the battery is only a couple months old.

Any advice on possible suspects would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Add your comment to this topic!