how much power can the stock rearend handle

jason-1995fbody
02-10-2009, 09:00 AM
i have an 89 iroc with the borgwarner rearend option i plan to use small slicks i was wondering how it will hold up i should be making around 400 hp at the flywheel thanks

oldblu65
02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Jason , the 1989 Chevrolet IROC had an engine rated at 190 hp . Figuring the usual drive train loss , you might have had 160 hp at the rear wheels . Remember this was when the car was new . You didn't say if you bought the car new and being that the car is now 20 years old and not knowing the history if you didn't buy it new , you really don't know the condition of the rear end ? You put 400 hp to it and you'll find out quickly it's condition . The unwritten rule in this is - when you upgrade the engine , count on having to upgrade the transmission as well . It only makes sense that the rear end would be the next thing that would need an upgrade . Also , most people totally forget what is probably the biggest need that should be addressed in a situation like this . That would be the brakes ! So you see what a " Domino Effect " is created when you go down this road ? There's nothing wrong with what you want to do to your Camaro - we've all done it ! You just need to look at the big picture and be aware of the possible pitfalls . Good luck and keep us informed of your progress !

jason-1995fbody
02-11-2009, 07:34 AM
the trany is sound and i already assume the worst for everything else the car came factory with 4 wheeel disc brakes and i plan to to drilled and vented rotors i am aware of these things i just wondered iff someone had put this much power to the stock rear end

Genopsyde
02-13-2009, 12:52 AM
if it's the 9-bolt it will probably be ok.

whoisdabomb86
01-29-2010, 02:07 AM
i ran a stock 10 bolt in mine for a couple years put in the 9" only like a year ago, cuz they are really way too expensive! I was running a little over 700 horse through my rear and left it open, sure it burned out forever and ever and ever and a day, but it got me around, depends on what u wanna do with it, i would never posi it, but as soon as the 9" went it i cracked my tranny case in half, so i mean your gonna find the weak spots all over and just replace EVERYTHING!!

Add your comment to this topic!