brake lines install

boostjunkie333
01-15-2009, 12:29 AM
hey guys, i had a few questions before undergoing an install on some brake lines...ive done plenty of brake work, just never removed brake lines to install "performance" ones...

is there anything special i should know?? such as when doing the install, or maybe when selecting the parts company to go with?

can anyone with experience tell me right off hand which size lines ill need or what to look for in a kit for my 97 rs?

and finally, with my ultimate hp goal being about 450, are performance brake lines even necessary? what major benefits if any will they realistically produce??

thanks!!

SilvrEclipse
01-15-2009, 07:00 AM
You do not have to have them. I would upgrade the calipers to GSX calipers and rotors before I the line. All they will give you is a more solid pedal feel. I have never used them so I dont know if they help or not. I have a write up in the tech section for upgrading the brakes.

boostjunkie333
01-15-2009, 09:30 PM
so in other words, its up to preference whther or not to do it...

lol, thanks thats all i needed to know

SilvrEclipse
01-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Yes its up to you whether you want to spend the money on them. Like I said you should upgrade to the GSX calipers also. Being able to stop the car is MORE important than making it go faster. You should atleast replace the lines with some new ones as your stock lines are over 10years old now. If you choose to go with the gsx caliper upgrade be careful that you get the right lines for the front. Some of the 2 piston calipers came with banjo fittings like your stock ones and others came with screw in fittings.

boostjunkie333
01-16-2009, 10:38 PM
thanks for the heads up, i would have gotten there and realized it and been pissed lol...knowing my luck

boostjunkie333
01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
well, while we are on the subject...i have a few questions about the brakes

1)you recommend gsx calipers, does this mean i can just buy new calipers that are made for a gsx and put em on mine, or do i need to actually find a parted out gsx and pull them off bc that might be kinda hard to do

2)will the gsx calipers fit right on or will they require mods, and what pads do i get? ones for the gsx calipers or the ones made for my car? in other words will i have problems with fitment and whatnot

3)how easy/hard is it to convert my rear drums to calipers on the eclipse...if you or anyone has done this...

thanks!!:popcorn:

SilvrEclipse
01-23-2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=739075

Never done a drum to disc brake conversion so you will have to search that.

boostjunkie333
01-24-2009, 11:36 PM
i just realized, i have aftermarket rotors, id have to trash em to do the upgrade...=(

but the lines i will do, you put it perfectly yourself, mine ARE about 10 years old now lol

SilvrEclipse
01-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Thats why you just upgrade when you need to change your brakes. You would have to buy new ones anyways.

Add your comment to this topic!