Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Grand Voyager, trans no power and slips when cold

RobBing
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
When my Grand Voyager is cold my transmission slips and has very little power. Once it's warmed I don't have the problem(it may slip here and there but not that much)

Trans was replaced 3 years ago. 98 with a 3.8 liter.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bear
01-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Every case like yours that I have come across was due to the wrong ATF. How long since fluid was changed and did you/they use ATF+4?

RobBing
01-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Bear, I think it's been a little over a year since the transmission fluid was changed. It may be a little longer but the car is driven about 100 miles a month so I don't do as much maintanence as normal.

Went out to see what all I could find with the car today since it's warmer.

1. Goes in reverse with no problem
2. Drives in 1st no problem
3. Shifts from first and I lose power(ugh this is the same thing that happened when I had the trans replaced.

Error codes
P0700
P0500
P0732
P0731
P0736
P1782
P1784

I have no clue where to start. Hopefully my trans isn't shot.

Bear
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
I am not a tech but those codes do not look good, Fault code in the PCM,No speed sensor signal, incorrect gear ratios. Did you get the codes by key dance or did you have it scanned? Alos some transmission shops will scan your transmission computer for free (in hopes of selling you a repair) you may wish to look for one of those shops (I avoid AAMCO havng had a less than wonderful experience years ago with that comapny). Keep in touch.

RobBing
01-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I had it read by a code reader from OReilys.

I was hoping maybe the sylnoid(spelling) was bad and that's what was causing it. :banghead:

tempfixit
01-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I had it read by a code reader from OReilys.

I was hoping maybe the sylnoid(spelling) was bad and that's what was causing it. :banghead:

I agree with Bear that it could be the wrong ATF. For the cost of ATF+4 fluid, which is about $4.00 a quart times 10 quarts would be a relatively cheap fix.
What I would do is add some seafoam trans conditioner that you can get at a auto parts store, let the tranny warm up to normal operating temp and drive for a few miles than remove the old fluid by disconnecting the return line from either the tranny cooler in the radiator( which I believe is uaually the lower line) or on the tranny itself and hook a long enough hose so you can stick it in a clear container and run engine for a short amount of time, shut off, pour about same amount of new fluid in tranny. Again do the same watching for new fluid to be dicharged into clear container. Hook up the line to either radiator cooler or tranny again. Get close to proper level a possible and drive for several miles and recheck fluid level and add if need be.

This process will replace all the fluid in the tranny and troque converter.

I have done this on 2 voyagers with same symptoms with good success.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Rawtorque
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
The public TRNW section I can look at only has one fix entered, and it's only codes P0731 & P0736. this was due to the Low/rev accumulator cover snap ring came out.

The CVI's would be helpful at this point.:2cents:

Rawtorque
01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
An OBD-II list is here:
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

You can try new ATF+4 & a new filter, but it may not fix it.

RobBing
01-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm going to attempt to change the trans fluid and filter this weekend. I'm a little nervous because I've never done it but hey at this point it can't hurt. :p

I'll keep you guys up to date and if you have any helpful hints please let me know.

tempfixit
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm going to attempt to change the trans fluid and filter this weekend. I'm a little nervous because I've never done it but hey at this point it can't hurt. :p

I'll keep you guys up to date and if you have any helpful hints please let me know.

Before you start stop at grocery store and pickup the largest aluminuim turkey baking pan you can find. These work great for draining the fluid when removing transmission pan and eliminates a big mess.

Wrenches you'll need, I believe the bolt size is 12mm, extension (optional) and 3/8" drive rachet, gasket material scrapper.

Jack front end up and support with jack stands or use car ramps to get little more space to work with but can be done without raising vehicle.

Place drain pan under tranny,
Remove all bolts except for 2 or 3 in one upper corner of the tranny pan.
Using a flat putty knife or screwdriver lightly tap between tranny pan and tranny housing on the opposite corner of the remaining bolts, once it starts to drain give it some time to drain then create a larger opening for more fluid to drain until you feel it is empty enough for you to remove remainder of bolts and remove pan.

Once you have the pan removed look for any metal shaving's on bottom of pan and on the magnet on the pan. Feel free to take a picture of the pan and magnet before cleaning and post here and someone will let you know if they see anything that any telltale signs of possible problem.

Remove tranny filter and inspect for tears or being clogged with foreign material.

Clean tranny housing and pan of any gasket material.

Install new filter.

Some people use a RTV gasket material on the pan and others use cork or rubber gaskets. Most claim that you have less leaks usinbg the RTV gasket maker in the tube.

Install pan, putting all the bolts in and hand tighten, then using socket and 3/8 drive rachet tighten the bolts in 2 sequences.

Add 3 quarts of ATF+$ fluid,

Remove return line from tranny or radiator tranny cooler, adding some hose to make it long enough to pump fluid into a clear container. Start engine and watch clear container until you have approx. 3 to 4 more quarts removed then shut off engine and add same amount of fluid that is in the clear container, repeating this again. You will use 10 to 12 quarts total with removing the pan and the procedure I explained but you will have removed all the old fluid from torque converter and what ever was in the tranny body.

Hook up return line let tranny get to operating temp checking the fluid level. Drive for a few miles and recheck and fill to correct fluid level.

Hope this helps and hope it does the trick

RobBing
01-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Tempfixit, I'm good with everything about changing the fluid but I'm not sure about the return line. I'm following the steps in the book(first sticky post in this forum where you can go to the Cinci library and get auto books) but I'm not sure where the return line is and I don't want to make any mistakes. do you by chance have a pic of it?

tempfixit
01-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Sorry I don't at this time but read this it should help:

http://www.allpar.com/eek/atf.html

This says that the return line is the lower line on the radiator tranny cooler.
I would follow that line to the tranny and it should be the one closest to the engine just below the solenoid pack electrical plug.

RobBing
01-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Well, I'm a failure. LOL I can't even get the trans pan off to change the fluid. I decided to spend my day yesterday doing my first trans fluid change. I don't know how long I spent trying to get the pan off but it was a long while and it was with no success. It is so tight I can't get anything in between to help pry it loose.

I think I may throw in the towel and take it to someone and let them change it. It hurts me to say that but if I can't even get the pan un stuck then maybe I shouldn't be messing with it.

Bear
01-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Do not despair, all is not lost. Go to Autozone website and under repair info look at general maintenance and transaxle fluid and filter data. Good text and pictures of the how to on fluid and filter change. I have done my '96 a couple of times and I did not find it that bad (a bit messy). keep in touch we are here for you, well at least virtually.

RobBing
01-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Woo hoo, just got the pan off. I had to work my way around it to find a place to stick a puddy knife in but I found it. Smooth sailing from here.

I will say I have no idea where the return line is. I really want to change out all of the trans fluid but I'm not willing to take a chance and I've found no pics of which is the exact line.

Bear
01-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Much discussion and no consensus as to whether it is good or bad to flush the entire system, so, most of us just drian the pan and change the fluid.

RobBing
01-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Argh, I love working on this van but I really do have a love hate relationship with it.

Got the trans fluid and filter changed. I think my tranny might be done. I have nothing but reverse now. I didn't have any shavings on the magnet just some dust type metal. Hopefully it's something else but at this point it's above my ineternet search ability.

Any help before I pull my hair out would be appreciated.

RobBing
01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I guess I should add.... When I pulled out of the garage it seemed fine. I put it in drive and it took off fine, as soon as it went to shift gears I had nothing. Once that happened even first didn't work. If I start it up again I'll have first but not much power.

tempfixit
01-13-2009, 09:03 AM
I guess I should add.... When I pulled out of the garage it seemed fine. I put it in drive and it took off fine, as soon as it went to shift gears I had nothing. Once that happened even first didn't work. If I start it up again I'll have first but not much power.

Just for sake of trying, disconnect the battery for 5 to 10 minutes, this resets all the computers. Before you do that do the key dance and see if you get any codes.

Bear
01-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Agree with the re-boot procedure. Does not sound good (from a guy that just had his '96 A604 rebuilt). The next step would be to get the transmission TCM scanned for codes (of course if she doesn't move that is not going to be easy) at a reliable transmission shop.

RobBing
01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Ok, so as of this morning here is where I am. The van goes in reverse with no problem. It will go in first with no problem, if I stick it down into reverse then it just keeps going. If I stick it in D and go, once it trys to shift gears it goes limp. At that point 1st doesn't even work and I have to turn off the car and re start it for 1st to work.

tempfixit
01-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Have you disconnected the battery?? While you are waiting to reconnect battery I would disconnect all the sensor connections and check for corrision or moisture paying specific attention to the solenoid pack electrical connector, Look for moisture in the connector cavity on the solenoid pack as they have been known to hold moisture or have been contaminated by tranny fluid causing faulty signal to TCM. If then you still have problem's I suggest you as Bear indicated, having a reputable tranny shop check for TCM codes and read the tranny pressures. The way you are explaining things now it points me to a electrical problem with tranny.

Good Luck

RobBing
01-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Temp, yes I disconnected the battery. I have no clue where all the sensor connections are though. I think at this point it may be getting way over my head and might break down and let someone else do it. I've looked at the online guide I use but I couldn't see any places where it talks about the sensors.

tempfixit
01-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Here is a link with a picture of the tranny sensor locations,

http://www.robskorner.org/faqs/Trans/a604trans33.html#93v

The turbine sensor, output sensor and solenoid pack connectors are the ones I was referring to. IF you look at the solenoid assembly with arrow on the picture you will see the connector location just on top of it. These sensors should be easily accesible just left of the battery from the top.

Your choice if you want to check or not just trying to help. Make sure you get a reputable shop to do your work.

Good Luck.

RobBing
01-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Temp, I really appreciate it. I love working on this van, I think it's the only reason I keep it. I will check out those sensors.

Bear
01-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Long string, but if you want to see what she looks like inside and out, go to;
www.dodgeforum.com/1995-2000-dodge-avenger/77094-transmission-rebuild-pictures-online-for-a604.html

Bear
01-16-2009, 09:11 AM
for look at schematic of the solenoid pack and more discussion, go to;
htttp://www.dodgetalk.com/forums
Then click on Caravan discussion board and '97 transmission issue.

Add your comment to this topic!