Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

grand voyager issues

93plygravoyse
01-04-2009, 01:47 AM
Hi..my mom's 93 grand voyager se with a 3.3l engine won't start..I turned it off while sitting at a very long light and it just did not start back up :mad: we had it towed home and I can't find and codes doing the key on off method the only thing that seems off is the oil gauge on the dash will rise when key is turned (sometimes just stay at 0) then drop to 0 and then the "check gauges" thing will turn on :banghead: ? she bought a brand new battery and I replaced the fuel filter oil level is fine..today I discovered if I crank it alot the oil level will stay up and "check gauges" will turn off then fall after about five seconds without cranking? I am lost I am used to working on my 1.0L geo metro..any help would be great..thanks

tempfixit
01-04-2009, 02:15 AM
Hi..my mom's 93 grand voyager se with a 3.3l engine won't start..I turned it off while sitting at a very long light and it just did not start back up :mad: we had it towed home and I can't find and codes doing the key on off method the only thing that seems off is the oil gauge on the dash will rise when key is turned (sometimes just stay at 0) then drop to 0 and then the "check gauges" thing will turn on :banghead: ? she bought a brand new battery and I replaced the fuel filter oil level is fine..today I discovered if I crank it alot the oil level will stay up and "check gauges" will turn off then fall after about five seconds without cranking? I am lost I am used to working on my 1.0L geo metro..any help would be great..thanks

Do you have spark?

Try smacking the top of the dash. These vans have a common issue of bad sodering joints on the instrument cluster. Also check the camshaft and crankshaft sensors. Welcome to AF. Let us know what you find.

93plygravoyse
01-04-2009, 06:01 PM
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/93geometro/?action=view&current=samsung099.flv <---testing the spark video

93plygravoyse
01-04-2009, 06:07 PM
I smacked the dash, tested for spark (see video above) please tell me if I did that correctly, I have a general idea where those two sensors are but what do I check for? also how does the cranking sound in the video? I don't know what to listen for..thanks for the reply

RIP
01-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Spark, fuel, air, and timing. Gotta have them all. You've got spark and it's a pretty good bet timing is there since you have a timing chain and spark is there. Since it's not firing at all I'd say air isn't the problem. That leaves fuel.

You should hear the fuel pump come on for a few seconds when you turn the key to on/run. Stand towards the back or under the rear of the van while someone turns the key. If you don't hear it, smack the fuel tank with a mallet a few times. If it comes to life, you may have a pump change in your near future. If you hear it run and it still won't start connect a fuel pressure gauge to check the pump output pressure. Should see 49 psi...I think.

I never say never but, because you have spark I would think the cam and crank sensors are OK.

93plygravoyse
01-05-2009, 06:48 PM
you were right I whacked the tank heard the pump come on then my mom started it right up..thanks for the help how much would a shop charge on average to do a fuel pump replacement?

RIP
01-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Happy to help. A pump can be had for $50 to $120 off the internet or from the dealer. A shop will charge $200-$300 parts and labor. On a van that old it wouldn't hurt to have the tank flushed and change the filter. The new pump might just pick up sediment and fail. That would add another $100. Shop around. Any shop can change them and they are changed all the time.

It's a real crap shoot but, I have read of people wacking the tank and the pump runs great for years. A rare exception and far from the rule. Up to you.

Add your comment to this topic!