Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cloudy headlight easy fix.

Huney1
12-22-2008, 09:23 PM
CAUTION! You definitely want to use eye protection if use this method because it slings some polishing compound out from the towel wrapped bit. Also a good idea to outline the lens with masking or duct tape so you won't make an error and scratch or damage the pain around the lens.

I saw the kits and read various methods and came up with my own quick, easy way to fix them. Take a long drill bit, like, maybe 1/4 inch, and cut a terry cloth towel in a strip an inch wide and foot long. Wrap the strip around the drill bit tight so it will be turning in the direction so as not to loosen it. Take strong nylon thread and tie the strip tightly to the bit in five places make sure to tie it tight on the ends. Quickly dip the towel in water and squeeze out excess moisture.

Now you want Advance Auto Part Chrome Polish liquid. Soak the towel with it and turn the drill on slow speed and hold the towel vertical to the headlight lens so it is laying flat against it. Now with gentle pressure pressing on the lens move it back and forth left to right for maybe a minute like a windshield wipers motion then reapply the polish and do it again. Don't let it dry out and if it gets to dry dip the towel in water again and keep doing it until you see the lens clearing up then wash it with water and dry it and see how it looks. It took me maybe five minutes on each lens and they look great.

I read the way to keep them looking good is after they're cleaned put on a coat of clear Krylon spray paint. I think I'll give it a while and see how they do and if I need the Krylon I'll try it but for now they stay as is. Think I paid about $3.50 for the polisher and I already had a drill motor and bit so that was a cheap & easy fix for me. Be careful wrapping the bit so the towel doesn't come loose because if the nekid bit touches the lens you have an instant disaster. Take your time, be gentle with the presure on the bit and you should be OK. It worked for me . . .

JR Tigerstar
12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Cloudy headlight easy fix.

I just replaced the old cloudy headlights with new clear headlights.

Huney1
12-23-2008, 08:35 AM
I saw a post where a guy said he got them for $38.00 each. There was a time when I would have paid it but since I retired I watch every penny and the fix I did was inexpensive and quick. I needed a car and found a 02 Maruis with 43K mi on it full loaded leather, posi-traction, full power. Surprised an old gent 75 yrs old owned it bought it new put a few dings on it so I got it for $7K.

I hung out in this forum before and the Mustang and Taurus forums are very active so I put my headlight fix where I thought it would get the most exposure. Nice looking Pony uu have there, drive safely and have a Merry Christmas and hope we all have a better New Year.

DurangoDave
12-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Good tip, thanks for posting!
(But if I ever need to try it, I think I'll use a dowel instead of a drill bit...the consequences of slipping are too great!)

Huney1
12-24-2008, 10:31 AM
If you wrap the bit right there won't be any metal exposed and you should have at least a half inch thickness of towel material covering the bit. I tied the two ends tight with nylon tent repair thread and the middle I tied tight enough to hold it together but not to tight. Yeah, a dowel would definitely be a better shaft to tie around but you have to have something rough that will hold the towel in place and not let it slip.

Okey Dokey then, thanks for the feed back and a very Merry Christmas to everyone and please keep our military personnel in your thoughts.

Add your comment to this topic!