Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What are common problems? 04, 2.7L, auto

2000izusu
11-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Hello all,

i am buying a 04 santa fe 2.7 auto over the weekend with 72,000 miles.

any common problems i need to know about? thanks mike

DSHornet
11-14-2008, 10:07 PM
If it's an AWD/4WD model, you may hear a whine from the rear end. The rear differential is known to howl on the highway, but it sounds much worse than it is. Mine does ('01, 100K miles) and I understand it's a common trait. And the standard BFG Long Trail T/A tires are a little noisy on the highway, but they stick to the road well and last a long time.

I bought mine two months ago to replace a wrecked, unlamanted Kia Sportage. It's definitely a step up for me. But I got the used car warranty on the big ticket items (drive train, electronics) just in case.

2000izusu
11-15-2008, 08:00 PM
thanks for the heads up! i also understand some 03-04 transmissions slip when it is really cold out and the car is cold. solution is to warm the car up when in single digits or below, if you don't have a garage. mike

DSHornet
11-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't know about the tranny slipping in very cold weather, but since it's getting around freezing or just below in north Alabama now, I notice that it's a little slow to upshift before the engine warms up. I just shift manually for a few blocks.

Yes, I've seen single digits Fahrenheit (even below zero!) in Alabama in winter but, thank you Lord, it's not often. We just wave politely at the snowbirds as they drive through on their way to Florida. :tongue:

2000izusu
11-18-2008, 07:05 AM
well i bought it!!!! it is a 04 gls with 72,000 miles. and just had the timing belt and 60k service done at the dealer. i paid $5500. this is one of the best deals i have ever fell into. it is in immacculate shape with only a couple of nicks and such. mike

Add your comment to this topic!