Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Mustang GT rear brakes

bluesboyst
11-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi,
I need to change the rear brake pads on my 2001 Mustang GT. I tried to take out the bolts but they seem to be frozen in there. I did not want to use too much force because I did not want to snap anything off at the time. Is this an issue with this model? Do the bolts loosen by turning counter-clockwise? Just want to make sure.

Thanks,

STeve

jfberry
11-13-2008, 05:39 PM
It takes a special tool to turn the caliper in ( clockwise). It is box shaped with different shapes on each sideand fits on a 38ths inch ratchet. One of the shapes fits in the center of the caliper (looks like 2 arrows pointing to each other) and you turn it all the way in till it stops. When you are done with your pad change make sure that you turn the "arrrows" counter clockwise so that they are pointing at 6 and 12 o'clock. I hope that this answers your guestion. You can purchase the tool at your local auto parts store. Or Summit Racing carries them.

rhandwor
11-13-2008, 07:39 PM
The two bolts holding the caliper on are loosened by turning counter clock wise. Spray them both with P-B Blaster the night before you start. The previous post was correct if this is your problem.

bluesboyst
12-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks, I changed the rear pads over the weekend. I bought the tool to screw in the caliper piston. Do not know why they would ever design a caliper like that.

Thanks for the advice

Add your comment to this topic!