Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rear hatch lock on 98 mountaineer

mountainman1
11-10-2008, 11:21 PM
when i use the key fob to unlock the rear hatch...lately it takes more then a few times to get it to open....problem with hatch or key fob....you can hear the gate latch make noise....but the lever to open it won't work till you hit the fob a few tries...any ideas......

wayne

shorod
11-11-2008, 06:51 AM
I had similar symptoms. I'd unlock the doors but the rear latch didn't feel connected to anything, like when the doors were locked. I removed the rear gate trim panel, then cleaned and lubed the rear latch/handle mechanism. It's been working fine for about the last 8 months now.

-Rod

mountainman1
11-11-2008, 08:47 PM
thanks Rod....i'll try that this weekend...never ending problems with her lately....:banghead:

mountainman1
11-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back...busy as a beaver here.....anyways...Rod...did as you suggested....to a T.....still does it...any other ideas for me to try...seems the ole Mountaineer is starting to fall apart on me....things starting to go wrong....fix one thing...then something else.....but i love the thing so i fix and fix and fix :)

shorod
11-24-2008, 10:55 PM
You may need to remove the latch mechanism and see what is or isn't moving. You may be able to see something that broken if you have the latch out and in your hand. Too bad it wasn't as simple and a cleaning and lubrication. :(

-Rod

mountainman1
11-25-2008, 11:08 PM
i could only wish it was that easy Rod,.....seems like i'm having a bad streak going...then when everything is fixed...i'll be a happy camper again...i love the mountaineer...it's just the fixing i've been doing lately....but this to shall pass.....I HOPE...:smile:

Add your comment to this topic!