tubing the firebird

star_screem70
11-10-2008, 04:15 PM
ive searched and searched, where does anyone know of personal info of who has back halved there firebird to run large slicks...i plan to set up a pro street style drive, but im having issues finding similar people that have done the same...i plan to use the kit from competition engineering from summit that all you have to do is cut out the rear trunk and floor pans enough to fit in the back half section and then finish off with tubs and sheet metal for a clean look....anyone happen to have any kind of info on this?

whoisdabomb86
01-29-2010, 02:22 AM
ive searched and searched, where does anyone know of personal info of who has back halved there firebird to run large slicks...i plan to set up a pro street style drive, but im having issues finding similar people that have done the same...i plan to use the kit from competition engineering from summit that all you have to do is cut out the rear trunk and floor pans enough to fit in the back half section and then finish off with tubs and sheet metal for a clean look....anyone happen to have any kind of info on this?

I havnt tubbed my camaro, but i may be able to offer you some advice, the kit from competition engineering from what ive read in my own research is a very good one, im assuming since your going through all the trouble you plan of 4 linking it, with a hearty 9" custom made to your specs, this is probly gonna pose a prob to the gas tank not to mention the stock gas tank wont be good enough if your gonna track it for the times your gonna run assuming this car is gonna be fast, becuase of no rollover valve, fuel line sizes are junk, its got no foam in it, and it just plain sucks, throw it in the weeds not to mention with your new suspension setup it may not fit, well this is where i have experiance, i run a fuel cell,and have cut the back end of my car to fit it.
One thing ive learned is you cut out the dip in the back to fit such a thing, and i used 1X2" rectangle tubing to make the custom frame to fit the fuel cell, welded it in so it ties both rear sub frame rails of the car together, buts up to the back of the fuel cell, and lays flat across the rearmost frame up against the plastic cover for my auto trunk latch,figured the angles and welded studs to the square stock and made my own straps out of flat stock 16 guage 1" wide strips i beleive. bent them in a vice, welded studs to risers i made with small peices of rectange tubing, and attached the straps to the fuel cell, and made it so it fit to the point where it just drops down out below the bumper, trimmed the rug and bought 14 guage flat stock trimmed it, braked the metal to make a removable cover insulated it with a/c tape, the whole process took about a day and a half, with a good welder.
i also run a ladder bar setup as opposed to tubbing, havnt stepped to that class yet, i stick with the 10.5 m/t slick. I have -12 lines out of a plastic foam filled cell, to a A1000 pump, to a A2000 fuel regulator, and an Aeromotive fuel pump controller, with a -10 return. The fuel system ran me about 2500$ with all the lines to the 2 4bbl holleys and to and from the cell all said and done with. i hope i helped try checkin out thirdgen.org alot of racers on there that have done stuff that really helped me.

whoisdabomb86
01-29-2010, 02:31 AM
i mean its like 3 months late but hey better than nothing, i come on this site every 6 months anyways. email me jmartello86@gmail.com if u need any other help

Add your comment to this topic!