Steering squeaking and other problems

david-b
10-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Good times today...

Firstly, when I turn the wheel any direction, it squeaks, like almost metal on metal squeaking. Almost sounds like something needs WD-40. I don't see anything rubbing, and didn't have someone else around to turn the wheel while I was in the engine bay. It does it while moving or not. Any ideas? And I don't have PS, so it's not leaking unless something got inside the reservoir, but it doesn't sound like that.

The steering itself has been kinda sucky. When I'm driving and go to shift, the steering wheel will shake back and forth very quickly a couple times. It's when I let go of the clutch all the way. Any ideas there? I have a feeling that this problem and the one above may be related.

Also getting a popping now from the passenger wheel well. Guessing a joint somewhere. I've had the control arms replaced and resealed, and the inner and outer tie rods replaced since I bought the car, so I don't know what else that can be.

Alignment sucks BTW... just thought I should throw that in but it's been like that forever.

I'm going to pick the car up this weekend and see what I can find. Then I'll probably take a day off and take the car in. Anyone have problems like the above?

bravo44mag
08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
i have the same problem with the squeak when i turn my wheels and go over bumps even if im at a dead stop but i found out that its my strut and when it rains the squeak goes away so i guess some how the water lubes it and reduces the friction but the strut still holds up good so i don't know how to fix the squeak permanently. so if someone could give me some tips that wood be great!

Add your comment to this topic!