Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 GA GT headlight bulb

plh_in
10-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Can someone tell me how to replace the headlight bulbs? Do i have to remove the entire assembly? If so, how in the world does it come out??? Do I go through the inner fender wells??

Im stuck...

Hungrycat7
10-18-2008, 03:28 PM
You don't need to go in through the fender wells. You do have to remove the entire headlight assembly though. There will probably be black splash shields above the your headlight assemblies. These need to be removed. I think they are just held on by some plastic fasteners. Next you will see two "speed clips" for each assembly. These are vertically mounted pieces of metal on the back of the assembly. Each need to be pulled straight up to release the assembly. Sometimes they can be tricky, I usually just use a pair of pliers to pull on them. The assembly can now be pulled straight out. Twist the plastic retainer on the back of the bulb counter clockwise about 1/6 of a turn. The bulb can then be pulled out. Reverse steps to reinstall. Just be sure not to touch the new bulb with your fingers.

grfnkl
10-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Oh as an addition to all of this... the plastic retainer clip that holds the bulb in place tends to get extremely brittle over time so don't be suprised if it breaks when you are replacing the bulb. Duct tape works well though as a short term fix to this :grinyes:.

xeroinfinity
10-19-2008, 10:41 PM
If that doesnt help here are some pics, with the procedure.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=653122

:iagree: the bulb retainer clips are crap, and break very easily. :disappoin:

Add your comment to this topic!