Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 Dodge Caravan Transmission Problems

monteheeren
09-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Working on a 2000 Dodge Carvan. The Caravan had a weird noise in it and found out it had 3 torque converter bolts that came out. They broke a hole in the bell houseing, broke a piece of the starter out, and put a hole in the torque converter. I replaced the torque converter and put in a new starter. The van ran great and was quiet. My friend called and said the van was stranded on the highway and would not move. When I got there, the trans is full on fluid and all wires were hooked up. The van will not go into reverse. You can kind of hear it trying, but won't move in reverse. The van would go in gear forward, so we tried to get it home, and then it would not go in drive anymore. What could be the problem? The trans worked fine before I put the torque converter in. Its a new converter from AMMACO. There are two sensors in the front of the trans. Could one of those be bad? Could it be a clogged filter. I'm confused. The van shifted great right after I replace the torque converter, and now it has problems.

Monte Heeren.

Airjer_
09-30-2008, 10:52 PM
It doesn't sound good!

I am by no means a tranny guy but I can explain the 2 sensors in front. They are the input and output speed sensors. when one of these fails the transmission will go into limp mode and default into second gear, but it will still move forward and backward.

monteheeren
10-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Airjer,
Thank you for the reply. That explains the front two sensors. I'm hoping I don't have to pull the transmission again.

Monte

Add your comment to this topic!