Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dual Exhaust

david-b
09-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey all;
So I'm thinking about next year already and trying to get some ideas for the Talon. I was looking at some cars and that Talon and realized that with the car dropped about 2" all around, a dual exhaust would look completely awesome. My exhaust is beat up and in pretty bad shape, and I have to make a new Downpipe anyways. It would be custom, just have a cat in there.

Now I know that there are no kits for that or anything. Does the rear suspension allow for a split pipe or would Y-ing it off afterward be better?

I would go for dual more "sleeper" mufflers over the fart can I got now. Like dual tip mufflers would be nice.

I guess I should start off by asking (since this is very unorganized...) is this really going to restrict flow by having a Y up in there?

northendtrooper
09-25-2008, 09:35 PM
If you want sleeper look. Go for an Electric cutout just behind the flex pipe. If you want to turn heads (good and bad) do the dual exhaust.

vanilla gorilla
09-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Hey all;
So I'm thinking about next year already and trying to get some ideas for the Talon. I was looking at some cars and that Talon and realized that with the car dropped about 2" all around, a dual exhaust would look completely awesome. My exhaust is beat up and in pretty bad shape, and I have to make a new Downpipe anyways. It would be custom, just have a cat in there.

Now I know that there are no kits for that or anything. Does the rear suspension allow for a split pipe or would Y-ing it off afterward be better?

I would go for dual more "sleeper" mufflers over the fart can I got now. Like dual tip mufflers would be nice.

I guess I should start off by asking (since this is very unorganized...) is this really going to restrict flow by having a Y up in there?

Y-ing off into duals will not restrict flow at all, probly open it up a little more actually. But anyways, I cant really think right now about how the exhaust goes over the rear suspension......but I would think that the best way to do it would be to split it after the rear suspension.

So basically you would run one pipe to the rear suspension, then split it into a Y. Then run one pipe to each tip, one tip at each corner of the bumper of course. But you have a few options on the muffer setup (if your even going to run a muffler). You could put one muffler before each tip(this is how we have on our camaro, but true duals), but you will need a smaller compact muffler. Moroso makes some small mufflers called Spiral flows. They dont muffle much. These are the mufflers on the camaro. They are right at the back bumper, each muffler is welded onto the inlet of each exhaust tip.

We have the same deal, again on our 06 GTO. But true duals of course. We now run flowmasters at the back bumper welded to the tips, but we used to have some very small and compact SLP loudmouth mufflers, which sounded good. We also had Spintechs on it before which are also semi compact and sound awesome.

But if you dont want to do it with dual mufflers at the rear, you could put a glasspack, or again a small muffler under the car in the exhaust tunnel, then split it to the y after the rear suspension.

So yeah, you have a few options. But I like the idea of a dual exit exhaust. But I think running dual mufflers would be pretty pointless....the car isnt that loud. If it was me I would put a muffler in the exhaust tunnel then bring the pipe over the rear end, split it and run it to 2 tips.

SilvrEclipse
09-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Stock exhuast runs the pipe over the axle on the driver side. As far as I can see anything over 2.5" is going to have to be ran under the axle which is how all 3" catback setups are. I would run it under the axle like that and then split it like VG said. Only problem is that the spare tire well sits real low in that area so there may not be enough room.

david-b
09-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Got ya. When my car was N/A it was super loud... always got complaints but never really heard it till I was on the dyno in SC. Since the turbo, at idle and low throttle its a lot quieter.

See I was originally thinking of Y-ing it off, then going to 2 mufflers but going to 1 muffler and then Y-ing to tips seems like a good idea. I'll do some research. It's still some time before I actually do it too, but just trying to get an idea for everything. Oh and I'm keeping the cat and a muffler since we have emissions :headshake

And right now, I'm at a 2.5" exhaust. Recommend going to 3"?

Also question about the WG dump too now that we're talking exhaust. I want to dump out to the side of the car. Don't like it dropping in the engine bay, even though when moving the exhaust doesn't build up... I got that. But I think a side dump would be sweet. I don't want to cut the bumper though. Any ideas on that? Was looking and I could dump in the wheel well, but don't want to screw with my tires.

david-b
09-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Stock exhuast runs the pipe over the axle on the driver side. As far as I can see anything over 2.5" is going to have to be ran under the axle which is how all 3" catback setups are. I would run it under the axle like that and then split it like VG said. Only problem is that the spare tire well sits real low in that area so there may not be enough room.

Damn dude stop posting at the same time I am!

SilvrEclipse
09-26-2008, 07:52 AM
ha, I would run the wastegate dumb right in front of the tire and just have it stick out to the end of the bumper so it wont burn it. Should be fine. I was thinking of doing the same thing but I really didn't want to run all that exhaust pipe.

LandoAWD
09-26-2008, 09:19 AM
Don't skimp.

3" is the way to to. The shorter the better. None is best, but not practical nor quiet.

Besides being pointless beyond the realm of looks, a 2.5in system (god forbid you get pressbent) with miles of piping is not going to be a big performer for you. IF you're hell bent on doing it, do it, but I'd advise against it from a performance viewpoint.

For the dump, dumping out the bumper is the shortest you can go while not having something dangerously close to the tires and suspension, or dumping down to the ground in the bay. Make sure your dump hole cutout is larger than the pipe you're dumping from. Leave clearance for the motor movement.

david-b
09-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Don't skimp.

3" is the way to to. The shorter the better. None is best, but not practical nor quiet.

Besides being pointless beyond the realm of looks, a 2.5in system (god forbid you get pressbent) with miles of piping is not going to be a big performer for you. IF you're hell bent on doing it, do it, but I'd advise against it from a performance viewpoint.

For the dump, dumping out the bumper is the shortest you can go while not having something dangerously close to the tires and suspension, or dumping down to the ground in the bay. Make sure your dump hole cutout is larger than the pipe you're dumping from. Leave clearance for the motor movement.

I figured that there would be more piping involved with the Y, but upgrading to a 3" should compensate for that. I'm not running a huge amount of power obviously, but since backpressure (what ever people think) is def not needed now, figured it'd be good.

For the WG Dump I really don't want to cut a hole in the bumper, but may consider it. Basically, I just want something to weld because I miss it :lol: May end up doing that this weekend if I get bored enough. Have some wiring to do. I just don't want to dump it anymore in the engine bay. Seems very un-healthy for everything.

Add your comment to this topic!