Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 coug' single headlight not working..

agili-t
09-20-2008, 12:37 PM
:confused: So.. one of my headlights is not functioning. The bulb is fine, and there are no blown fuses. The highbeams both work perfectly and turn signals as well. Any ideas where I would look for wiring problems if that is what it might be? One in awhile it will come on briefly for sometimes 10 minutes and will cease working one more. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks~

n302
09-30-2008, 01:22 PM
it sounds like you probibly have a bad ground in the low beam headlight circuit its kind of hard to diag a problem with no wiring diagram but what you can do is try and follow the wires, check the connectors and make shure you have a good ground

agili-t
10-12-2008, 11:50 PM
the voltage at the light is 10.98v . What is the voltage required to light the bulb? there IS power going to the bulb but maybe not enough? could that be a ground problem? do you know typically where the ground connects for the passenger side light?

97Bird
10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Disconnect the bulb and check the contacts in the connector. They should be clean and shiny. If they are dirty, black or don't make a tight contact with the bulb they can start to heat up which will raise the resistance of the circuit until the lamp goes out. Put the voltmeter leads into the lamp socket and see if you still have 11-12V even when moving the wire around to check for a broken wire. I'm not sure on your car but the headlight grounds are usually bolted to the radiator support or somewhere near the headlights. You will have to try and follow the wires. You can buy new sockets at AutoZone or other parts houses.

Add your comment to this topic!