Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 300m EGR problem

s.walters
09-17-2008, 09:03 AM
I have a problem with my 300 stalling. Happens a lot after 5 min of driving. When it started the car would usually start right back up. Now I have to let it sit for 5 mins. before it will start up. Last night I finally got a code. 404 which says "The EGR sensor's reported position makes no sense" What does this exactly mean? Thanks for the help.

Airjer_
09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
It means that the EGR pintle position reading does not match the reading the computer is expecting to see. One cause for this is carbon stuck in the pintle which would cause this to run ruff all the time. The other is that the EGR has failed and is not sending the correct signal to the PCM. The PCM will command it to open more or less based on the input it is recieving. The last cause is that is may just be sticking in the open position after it has warmed up. If it is stuck open a little the only time you will notice it is at idle when it stalls or wants to run badly.

s.walters
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the quick response. So my next question is does the EGR need replaced?

Thanks

Airjer_
09-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Thats what you get to figure out! :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!