Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

torque converter wont disengage

1995rivierguy
07-21-2008, 10:50 PM
a few days ago my truck a 06 ram 2500 diesel started acting strange when i pulled up at a stop light it seemed as if the truck was trying to keep going and when i got on the hyway it wouldnt kick into o/d no check
engine light is on im lost caint find any other forums with someone who has had the same problem PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockwood84
07-25-2008, 11:34 PM
check the relay under the hood relay box on driverside should be able to swap one of the four beside it.just remember which one so if the t/c acts better you can swap back after you get a new one. should be in the row closest to firewall.

1995rivierguy
07-27-2008, 04:52 PM
check the relay under the hood relay box on driverside should be able to swap one of the four beside it.just remember which one so if the t/c acts better you can swap back after you get a new one. should be in the row closest to firewall. where is the relay box all i can find is the fuse box

rockwood84
07-27-2008, 09:54 PM
on a '96 it is a black box in front of the master cylinder. the t/c relay is on the rearward row i believe 2nd from fender. the horn ,t/c, and i think trailer lights are in that row and all are the same kind of relay. on mine i swapped out the horn with the t/cwas supposed to again so i bought a new one for 15 bucks and took the horn one back out and put it where it was to start with and put the new one in the t/c slot. not sure about an '06 but dodge usually doesn't change location of fusebox so i bet its still in te same location on an '06. let me know

1995rivierguy
07-29-2008, 01:41 PM
took my truck back to the dealer they confirmed what i already knew that the converter was not disengaging so now they plan to replace the converter and rebuild the tranny i wish they could have found the problem mabe when they tear it down they'll have an answer i'll let evryone know soon as i get it back thanks 'rockwood' for your input

Add your comment to this topic!