Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do I disconnect the governor on 97 e-350

doggfather69
07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
I recently purchased a 97 e-350 used Ryder truck. It has a 5.4 Tritan in it. How do i disconnect the governor and where is it located?

MagicRat
07-17-2008, 06:52 AM
What does the van do which makes you think it has a governor?
I have never come across a rental truck that had one and I do not think the factory governed those trucks.

MagicRat
07-17-2008, 06:52 AM
What does the van do which makes you think it has a governor?
I have never come across a rental truck that had one and I do not think the factory governed those trucks.

doggfather69
07-17-2008, 09:50 AM
It will not let me go over 68 mph..... the petal comes up and wont let me give it more gas. The truck was a ryder trs? not sure what that is. It came from Il.

MagicRat
07-18-2008, 06:22 AM
the petal comes up and wont let me give it more gas.
If the pedal physically is being interfered with, there must be some kind of mechanical device on the throttle linkage which is causing this restriction.

If this is the case, this mechanism can be disconnected. Have a close look at the throttle linkage and see if you can find anything that does not look stock or original because Ford does not use this method as a governor. Many modern vehicles are governed, but using electronic controls only, and typically the governed speed is over 100 mph (for tire speed rating issues only).
If possible, locate another van (not a rental) with the same engine for comparison or possibly get your mechanic's opinion. Obviously you want to ve VERY careful about any change or modification you make, since you do not want to disconnect anything important.

Also, I would suggest giving a Ryder location a call and ask the person there (off the record) if there trucks are governed. This is the first time I have heard of this, although it may be common for them to avoid liability issues etc.

doggfather69
07-24-2008, 06:03 PM
It is not something on the cable. It is definatly electronic. The pedal comes up but it doesnt get rock hard. I can still push it but cant give it more gas. If I hold it in one position and start up a hill and it slowes down the gas kicks back in. It is definatly electronic.

Add your comment to this topic!