Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Tap and WG

david-b
04-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Alright quick question here. On turbo oil return lines, they all go to the oil pan. I have one of those oil sandwich adapters... can I run a return straight to there instead of welding in a bung in the oil pan? It's the same place anyways.

And it's not good to run the oil feed line from those adapters right? Can cause too much pressure?

Then for an WG if someone were just dumping it below the car, how far down would it have to be in order to not affect engine bay temps? You figure you run the dump tube down and then just drop it, but the heat from the exhaust will rise right back into the bay and into the filter if it's right there. Or would it be better to get a housing where the WG goes right into the exhaust?

JoeShmoe
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Are you piecing together a turbo Dave?

david-b
04-30-2008, 01:59 PM
no.

Black99GST
04-30-2008, 03:27 PM
dump it, mines dumped, that the pipe is about 2" short from hanging below the body... basically, 2" above the frame... lol if that make since?

SilvrEclipse
04-30-2008, 06:54 PM
You run the oil feed line from the back of the block where the oil pressure sending unit is. I guess you could run it from the sandwhich adapter also but I have never heard of anyone doing it. On a MHI turbo you dont need to worry about oil pressure because those turbos have built in restrictors. On any other turbo you will need to put a restrictor inline with the feed line.

I have my wastegate dumping right in front of the tranny. It is about even with the bottom of the motor, maybe a little higher but it wont hurt anything.

david-b
05-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Are the restrictors those little plates that are right up on the turbo that have like a pin-sized hole?

SilvrEclipse
05-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Yea that should be a restrictor. Some actually screw inline with the feed line but either one will work fine. Just make sure you have the right size hole in there. I beleive there is different size holes depending on how much oil pressure you are getting.

JoeShmoe
05-01-2008, 03:58 PM
whats the diff in dumping in and out of the exhaust?

SilvrEclipse
05-01-2008, 09:12 PM
There is no difference in performance. The only difference is whether the wastegate dumps right under the motor or back into the exhaust.

david-b
05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
The only difference I can see is dumping close to the engine causes more heat build up, thus sacrificing performance. That's why you run it out the side of the bumper in front of the front wheel. SEXY!

SilvrEclipse
05-02-2008, 09:56 AM
By the time the wastegate opens your already moving, I doubt it would raise the underhood temps at all.

Add your comment to this topic!