Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 SI, piece of Junk?

LADYSOL
03-03-2003, 08:00 PM
Hi,
I just bought a 93 Honda Del SOL SI, blue in addition to my celica.
I was so happy to get it and the car looked and functioned great.......until I changed tires.
Apparently they cant do a wheel alignment and recommend I change my right axel and the control arms.
The car handles great, drives straight as an arrow but now I hear she has to have all this work.
I paid 2500 for it, has 99k, manual, new radio, no mods, has one minor left fender damage. Do you still think its a good deal because of all the possibilities for mods or should I just sell her and be done :(

KrNxRaCer00
03-03-2003, 11:48 PM
i still think its a good deal...whenever u buy a car that's that old, u should expect to need work done. i say stick it out an jus save up for ur mods :D any pics?

LADYSOL
03-04-2003, 06:46 AM
The more I think of it, I guess you are right. The salvage shops are selling them 2k for major damage and HONDA says they are getting hard to find so .......
I will get a pic up later but it's pretty much stock all the way down to rims.
But I must say the inside is impecable. just got a new paint job. (unfortunately thats when the hit happened to the old owner too :( BTW it's a silver blue color.
I am taking suggestions on what I can do to it.

Defiant_YD
03-04-2003, 03:09 PM
i'd say keep the sol.
some ppl don't like it, some ppl do, but truth is like u said, it's gettin hard to find and it's Si trim too.
and i'm assuming that the 93's-95's?? have the cool quad-headlight look. it's not like u see as much del sol's as u do civics. and considering the price u paid for it, thats like, a very good deal IMO.
unless u are strapped for cash, repair her and then save up money for mods if u plan to do so.

LADYSOL
03-04-2003, 04:37 PM
I found a shop to repair it and I am definitely keeping it now.
The control arms, right and left axel and both brakes (with new rotors)come to 700.00 unlike one place wanting 600.00 without doing the brakes. Oil change too :)

So looks like I was premature. I love this car but here in NY I was scared I had bought a lemon.
Cant wait to post pics, will do this weekend, it's going to the shop tomorrow.

B16EJ1
03-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Damn. That's jacked up. You know what? Hit a junk yard and get the control arms from any 92-95 civic. Go to your local parts store and buy the axels. They should be around 75 bucks. Get a helms manual or get your man(only if you're mechanically challenged) to put that shit in. Save yourself at least 200 bucks.....AT LEAST!!! Damn auto shop!!!! :mad:

LADYSOL
03-05-2003, 09:25 AM
Yeah, it bites A** big,
but the time to do it ourselves isnt there, he works avg 14 hrs a day and there's no way he'll trade sleep.
But :flipa: to all the techs who overcharge :devil:

thomas crown
03-06-2003, 10:23 AM
sounds like a good car to me... a few repairs are always expected from time to time and i think you got a good deal on it, it doesn't sound bad to me

t.c.

solchick
06-21-2003, 07:51 AM
Shoot I paid way more then that for my Si. Good find. I would keep it!

94SolGrl
06-22-2003, 09:12 AM
<<Paid $4600 for a DOHC VTEC sol... then replaced the starter, ignition wires, clutch slave cylinder, and clutch, and then proceeded to do $3000 in damage to the front end. Beware the sol curse, but good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!