Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

If you have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata, do you have water in your trunk

trunkwater
04-14-2008, 02:48 PM
I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata and I have water in the wheel well of the car and on the trunk floor deck. Does any one know if Hyundai manufacturer will cover the cost to investigate the cause of the water or any repairs needed. If I had wanted water in my trunk, I would have purchase another style vehicle such as a truck. Based on the other forums posted to this site, there seems to be a problem around the "H" and the gaskets around the taillights. I have currently removed the 2 plugs in the tire well to release the water, however, there is condensation around my taillights.
Help, anyone please help. Thank you, trunkwater:frown: :disappoin

rallyman66
04-15-2008, 01:27 PM
I would imagine your problem would be covered under warranty. If your car is still under warranty I would call your dealer and make an appointment to have them look at it.

dst62
07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I had a similar problem on my 2001 Sonata. I found that 2 of 4 bolts on the left tail light assy broke. This led to a gap in the tail light assy that leaked water into the trunk. I used gorilla glue to repair teh assy, fixed the bolts back in place and problem solved ... for me.

Hungrycat7
07-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Does the car have a sunroof? A lot of sunroof drains experience problems and drain into the trunk. Check your weather stripping for any holes, gaps, or tears. Maybe try opening the trunk and pour water in around the taillights. If they are leaking you should be able to watch where the water is coming through.

billo2005
04-03-2009, 03:45 PM
I wish I checked here last year when I discovered a leak on my 2005 Sonata GLS. I took out the driver's seat 3 times and tore up the carpet to soak up the water. Thought it was from the sun roof. Today, after a hard rain I discovered the leak is coming from the left side of my trunk, migrating forward. Looks like I'll spend another weekend fighting this problem, but at least you folks gave me some places to look to solve the problem. BTW, my dealer said any leak in my car is not covered under warranty because seals off all kinds are only covered under the first year. Needless to say I will NEVER buy a Hyundai again.

wilski
10-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I have a 2005 Hyundai Sonata and I have water in the wheel well of the car and on the trunk floor deck. Does any one know if Hyundai manufacturer will cover the cost to investigate the cause of the water or any repairs needed. If I had wanted water in my trunk, I would have purchase another style vehicle such as a truck. Based on the other forums posted to this site, there seems to be a problem around the "H" and the gaskets around the taillights. I have currently removed the 2 plugs in the tire well to release the water, however, there is condensation around my taillights.
Help, anyone please help. Thank you, trunkwater:frown: :disappoin
Hi,your tail lights are where it,s coming from,right above the lights the plastic housing..caulk all around from top around where plastic touches metal of body apparently it seap in because there not a tight fit of gasket ...I tried it it work for me..
Wilski..

Bengal571
09-13-2013, 04:21 PM
A common problem I have seen in this model is the rubber grommet/seal at the base of the antenna on the rear left fender erodes and leaks water into the trunk. Replacing it is simple and it costs about $3.00 at the dealer.

Add your comment to this topic!