Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear brake drum and general brake question

88PA
04-11-2008, 04:26 PM
My son's 93 Civic has had off and on brake problems for a couple months now.
I would like to inspect the rear drum brakes but I can't yet get the drum off. Do these come off like traditional brake drums or is there a trick to it? I removed the rubber grommet thinking I would be able to adjust the brakes with a screw driver but there isn't anything but the end of a rod visible in there.

The other problem is that there isn't much pedal when braking, the pedal hits the floor board and only slows the car down. I have replaced the master cylinder (bench bled), replaced the two brake lines at the rear wheels between the rubber line and the wheel cylinder and bled all air out, front brake pads replaced.

Any thought's on why I still don't have good pedal? I'm kinda stumped here, any thought's welcome.
Thanks

eckoman_pdx
04-29-2008, 02:42 AM
The brake drums should just come off. There should be 2 little holes on each drum face you can screw something into to help "push" the drum off. They come off like regular old break drums. If the shoes are really low, it's possible the self-adjusting mech has adjusted the shoes down far enough they hit the drum a little when taking it off. I haven't done drums in forever, I'd have to look and see if there's a way to manually back them off, if this is the case. Also, are your front break lines good, since the rears where bad? no cracks/leaks?

Is the pedal going down to the floor and the car is not stopping well, or not moving much @ all? There is a star nut on the back of the pedal that can be used to adjust the pedal travel, but make sure it's locked down tight when done. If you don't, if could tighten itself as you brake and lock the pedal down in the braking position. Was it a brand new master cylinder or a used one you used? Re-man or New?

Hook a vacuum tester up to the brake booster, pump it up to 20-30 and see if it holds. Easy way to test that.

Also get the drums off and check the shoes, and check the drums thickness and machine it on a brake lathe if it's with-in spec. If you replace them, re-bleed all 4 brakes in the right order.

88PA
04-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey thanks for the help. I found that the car will lock up the tires but I had to apply a lot of pressure to them for the last 1/4 of the travel. Sounds a little like a vacumm problem doesn't it? I haven't been back to the rear drums but have plans to, since I now know they're pretty much traditional then I'll coax them off somehow.

The Master Cylinder was a rebuilt one from Autozone, something I should know?

I would love for him to have brake beginning at the top of the pedal, I suspect it needs the rear drums looked at, and a vacumm test.

eckoman_pdx
04-30-2008, 02:13 AM
Hey thanks for the help. I found that the car will lock up the tires but I had to apply a lot of pressure to them for the last 1/4 of the travel. Sounds a little like a vacumm problem doesn't it? I haven't been back to the rear drums but have plans to, since I now know they're pretty much traditional then I'll coax them off somehow.

The Master Cylinder was a rebuilt one from Autozone, something I should know?

I would love for him to have brake beginning at the top of the pedal, I suspect it needs the rear drums looked at, and a vacumm test.

You are very welcome for the help!

I just never trust re-built parts with stuff like Master Cylinders, etc, I get brand new. I just didn't trust the re-build shop to do it right with something like that. I figure re-build axles are hit and miss, I didn't want to take a chance on the MC. I've seen re-build axles and dizzy's on friends and families cars bad out of the box, or go bad in a week or 2, so I tend to avoid re-built parts if I can.

The reason I asked if it was a re-built MC, is because of what I've seen with axles and dizzys. Thought I'd throw out the possibility that if it was a re-built MC, that it is not good, since a bad MC can cause issues like a squishy pedal, having to push very hard and far on the pedal to stop, etc.

Defiantly check out the rear drums and a vacuum test. It shouldn't take long to check those out and fix amy issues you find.

Keep me posted on what you find!!:smile:

Add your comment to this topic!