adjustable shocks? what about tires?

Black99GST
04-10-2008, 03:58 PM
i'm getting ready to change my driveability, and ride quality BIG TIME, and i have almost everything.
i have:
~Brembo 4 piston calipers
~13" Drilled/slotted rotors
~Hawk HPs pads
~Eibach pro kit springs
~Ingalls camber kit
~17" BBS Dimond Black rims (EVO)

and i cant decide what shocks to get, i'm pretty sure they will be tokico, either HPs or Illuminas, i just dont know if the adjustable shock is worth the extra $100 or not. i guess, i have a friend that has the illuminas on his 97 GSX and his car rides NICE! he has them set to (3) in the front and (2) in the back, but i mean, i have never been in a car with the HP setup, and dont know what the ride quality is like... but my buddys GSX is TOO low for me. his setup is almost a full 2" drop, i'm looking for about 1.2"-1.5" MAX! which is the reason for the Eibach Springs. if anyone has used both adjustables, and non, of if you have either set up, please share you experience...

are the upper and lower strut bars worth the extra money? i want to have pretty sick handling, but it will still be a street setup?

Also, i'm in the market for some tires, but i dont wanna spend $250+ on EACH tire! I have a good deal on F1's right now, for about $733.50 after tax for the set with new valve stems, and balanced (havent jumped on it yet). but i was interested if anyone has had any good experiences with other tires, the F1's are so soft i have heard of flat spots in the tires for the car sitting still that go away once the tires are heated up. now advins are not an option for me @ $245 a tire! and goodyears are about 160 each, and i want to stay around that or less. any input on this would be great also!!! i currently am running goodyear Eagle GS (H rated) on the stock 16" rims. so... this will all be new to me... my buddys GSX is riding on advins which seem pretty sick. but i cant spend that money for tires... not that dedicated to a tire that is going to only last 20k miles you know? i'm not to worried about road noise, or wet traction (being in texas, it only rains for maybe 1-2 weeks out of the year), i just want KILLER dry grip, solid sidewalls, and maybe DECENT tread life... oh and 235/45ZR17's ;) any info will help guys!

sorry for all the questions, just figured better all in one thread then in 3 different ones...

EDIT: Lazy people notes:

-tokico Illuminas or tokico HP's or other?
-strut bars worth it??
-looking at F1 tires, open to options/advice

SilvrEclipse
04-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I have the illuminas. When you test them out and adjust them it does make a big difference in how fast/slow the strut come back out. Now whether it actually makes a difference when its on the car is another story. I probably wouldn't spend the extra money on them.

I run Goodyear Eagle F1 gsd3 tires and they are awesome. Maybe around $150/tire for your size but they have awesome grip dry or wet. And I have gotten almost 2 years out of them and still have some tread left.

Black99GST
04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I have the illuminas. When you test them out and adjust them it does make a big difference in how fast/slow the strut come back out. Now whether it actually makes a difference when its on the car is another story. I probably wouldn't spend the extra money on them.

I run Goodyear Eagle F1 gsd3 tires and they are awesome. Maybe around $150/tire for your size but they have awesome grip dry or wet. And I have gotten almost 2 years out of them and still have some tread left.
so if you were to buy them again, you would get the standered HP's? can you still notice a change in the suspension ride if you were to change the settings now? how long have you had the illuminas on the car? i want to make sure i'm making the right choice, because i dont wanna by the illuminas and it be a waste, but then again, if its only $100 difference for the illuminas over the HP's i would hate to buy the HP's and find out the ride quality and adjustments are actually WORTH the money and then buy ANOTHER set of shocks.

how many miles you got on the F1's? i here about 20k is their life spand... any input on the flat spots forming when the car is parked over night?

anyone have any info about strut bars?

vanilla gorilla
04-10-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't know about tokicos but I got KYB non adjustable gas shocks and I like the ride. I don't care to have an adjustable shock for what I use the car for, and spending the extra money for some isn't going to benefit me.

About tires:
I have experience with a few different tires. Those expensive tires you were talking about, I have no experience with, because they are too expensive for me, I like a cheap performance orriented tire.

The tires I have used:
Federal 595- The best tire I have used so far, has the best sidewall and traction of any tire I have run, and I recommend it. An awesome handling tire in my oppinion, no sidewall flex, and again, great traction. And its really cheap and you can get them anywhere. They ride good too.
Kumho AST-Straight poo poo
Nankang- Good handling and good traction and good treadwear, great cheaper tire.
Fusion performance oriented tire(dont remember the model name)- Not very good.

Black99GST
04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't know about tokicos but I got KYB non adjustable gas shocks and I like the ride. I don't care to have an adjustable shock for what I use the car for, and spending the extra money for some isn't going to benefit me.
i though that lowering on KYB shocks was a "no no"???

rock0134
04-10-2008, 08:48 PM
I have both front and rear upper strut bars... I didn't notice a difference after installing them but then again I don't do extreme driving...

As for the shocks... If you have the money get the illuminas but I love the Hp'scuz they were cheaper and I don't need the adjustability. But its your decision.

ps Dave... You gonna send me that email??

vanilla gorilla
04-10-2008, 09:50 PM
i though that lowering on KYB shocks was a "no no"???

IDK....works for me.

SilvrEclipse
04-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I probably wouldn't get the illuminas again. The adjustments still work but I haven't noticed a difference in handling but 'tuning' them.

The f1s are awesome tires. I have a little over 20k on them and will still get a few more months from them. I would say more like 30k depending on driving. I have never noticed flat spots on them so I dont know what that is about. I had toyo T1s tires on the car before these and I would take the goodyears over the toyos anyday.

david-b
04-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I recommend the strut bars. I got the front, rear, and lower tie bar. I tested out before and after. The car was near stock when I did it and I remember the body roll. Took in a parking lot and just hit some turns pretty hard. Car would slide out from under you. Then I did the bars and did the same tests and car was more solid without a doubt. Car sticks and very solid on the ground. Same with my boys old MX6. His rear strut bar saved his life too.

I am also looking to lower my car so this thread is good.

SilvrEclipse
04-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Lowered 2g = sexy

JoeShmoe
04-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Lowered 2g = sexy

Here here.

Black99GST
04-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I recommend the strut bars. I got the front, rear, and lower tie bar. I tested out before and after. The car was near stock when I did it and I remember the body roll. Took in a parking lot and just hit some turns pretty hard. Car would slide out from under you. Then I did the bars and did the same tests and car was more solid without a doubt. Car sticks and very solid on the ground. Same with my boys old MX6. His rear strut bar saved his life too.

I am also looking to lower my car so this thread is good.
David, so you recommend both the tower bars, aswell as the lower strut bars? or just the lower? or in what combo??

now im leaning more twords the HP's... but i dont wanna buy them and be missing out on the illuminas...:icon16: what to do???? what to do????

silvr, if you could go back, you would have just bought HPs in the first place, and paul, you have the HP's also... are you guys running the "tokico springs" that come with the kit? i think that kit will put my car to low to the ground. after all, i live in the hill country of texas... and my driveway is pretty steep... i dont wanna have to take my bumper off to get into the gurage...

the illuminas are going to lower the same as the hps right? because its all about the springs is that correct? so my eibach springs will ride at the same hight no matter which shock i use????

SilvrEclipse
04-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Yea the ride height is all in the springs. If I could do it again I would probably go with a coilover setup.

SilvrEclipse
04-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Just a tip, buy front and rear camber kits if you lower your car. I just rotated my tires today and found wires showing on the front right because the tire leans in to much. I still have about 1-2mm of thread left on the tire to.

david-b
04-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I recommend at least the top strut bars. They decrease body flex quite a bit and stiffens it up. You can get a set off eBay for pretty cheap so it's not a big expense. I spend $60 shipped for the 3.

JoeShmoe
04-12-2008, 07:30 AM
Just a tip, buy front and rear camber kits if you lower your car. I just rotated my tires today and found wires showing on the front right because the tire leans in to much. I still have about 1-2mm of thread left on the tire to.
With a camber kit for the front and back, whats the lowest you can drop?

rock0134
04-12-2008, 10:51 AM
I think 2" or a little more is the max until shit starts rubbing...

SilvrEclipse
04-12-2008, 01:12 PM
I think you could drop it a good 3' without having to worry about rubbing. But by lowering it you are decreasing your suspension travel.

vanilla gorilla
04-12-2008, 01:25 PM
IDK about the front. But you want be able to use a camber kit with the rear with more than a 2" drop, because the tires will rub the lip on the inside of the rear quarter panels. You would then have to roll the rear fenderwells. My rear tires tuck and have 3 or 4 degrees negetive camber, and theres no way I could even try to correct it without rolling mine.

Black99GST
04-14-2008, 04:01 PM
well... i think i'm going with the F1 tires... i need to decide on shocks... i dont wanna go with a full coilover setup since i already bought springs... just need to decide on the shocks... illumina's or HP's?

Gsst98
04-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Even if your goin with the F1's another good cheap tire is the Falken Azinis I got them for $100 a piece in 225/45/17 and they grip hella good but the reviews I read most people got around 10k out of the tire. Mine have handled well in the rain even better than my all seasons.

SilvrEclipse
04-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Even if your goin with the F1's another good cheap tire is the Falken Azinis I got them for $100 a piece in 225/45/17 and they grip hella good but the reviews I read most people got around 10k out of the tire. Mine have handled well in the rain even better than my all seasons.

How long have you had them on and how is the tread wearing?

Gsst98
04-15-2008, 05:32 PM
How long have you had them on and how is the tread wearing?

I've drove almost 2k in them and done 3 auto-X's and they still are pretty much full tread. Give me another month or two and Il let you know if they hold up.

Black99GST
04-15-2008, 10:18 PM
lol ok well, seems like no one wants to talk anymore about shocks... so i guess, i will get the illuminas, since they are only a few $$$ more then the HP's and the ride is then adjustable to my liking... thanks guys!

rock0134
04-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Go for it man you will love it being lower!

Black99GST
05-09-2008, 09:10 AM
sorry to bring this thread back, but my F1's seem a little softer then i thought they would be... what tire pressure you running silvr??? dont know what size you have either, mine are 235/45 on 17's... they are right at 35psi right now, but again, the side walls still feel pretty damn soft for a stiff wall tire... it could just be the OEM springs and shocks... i'll probably order the illuminas within the next few days... but any suggestions on Tire Pressure? dont know if it makes a difference, but remeber... TEXAS... its in the HIGH 90's now (98*-99*) and soon, it will be over 100* every day... so i dont know if that makes a difference....

4g63gst20
05-09-2008, 07:33 PM
i have the iluminas with eibach springs, i believe i have the sportlines, but i'm not sure. however, they advertised a 1.6" drop but it was like a 2" drop. i like the ride better now. i keep mine on 5 which is the stiffest. and i like it like that, no body roll AT ALL. i can do on-ramps that are 360 degrees at arround 60mph, NO BS. i actually did it. I havent tried the softest setting because i like how it handles on #5.

here's a picture of my car with eibach springs and iluminas and 235/45/18, just so you get an idea of how yours would look.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m84/4g63gst20/MY%20DSM/S5300209.jpg

Black99GST
05-10-2008, 09:10 AM
*** TIRE PRESSURE??? for 235/45 17's??? ***

i have the iluminas with eibach springs, i believe i have the sportlines, but i'm not sure. however, they advertised a 1.6" drop but it was like a 2" drop. i like the ride better now. i keep mine on 5 which is the stiffest. and i like it like that, no body roll AT ALL. i can do on-ramps that are 360 degrees at arround 60mph, NO BS. i actually did it. I havent tried the softest setting because i like how it handles on #5.

I'm getting illuminas, ordered them yesterday, and i already have the pro kit, the pro kit days it drops 1.6" the sprtlines are a 2" drop... check out www.eibach.com. you must have gotten confused when you ordered them! ;)

gthompson97
05-10-2008, 11:09 PM
I work at a tire shop while in school and we ususally put 40-45 profiles anywhere between 35-38. I run my 225/35/20 on the Monte at 40, and it works pretty well for me. A 45 profile won't be as stiff as a 40 or hard like a rock like a 35 would be, they'll have some give to them, but not as soft as a 50 would be. I wouldn't be too worried about it if I were you.

Black99GST
05-11-2008, 04:17 PM
I work at a tire shop while in school and we ususally put 40-45 profiles anywhere between 35-38. I run my 225/35/20 on the Monte at 40, and it works pretty well for me. A 45 profile won't be as stiff as a 40 or hard like a rock like a 35 would be, they'll have some give to them, but not as soft as a 50 would be. I wouldn't be too worried about it if I were you.
i think it has a lot to do with my stock shocks and springs, because my buddy with his GST, he has F1's and his are 235/45 (don't know what pressure) but his car is lowered, and it drives like a BEAST compared to mine right now.. lol oh well, shocks are coming on Wednesday!

Add your comment to this topic!