Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 mystique 2.0 4 cyl idler pulley replacement

big daddy666
03-29-2008, 09:46 PM
For about a week my wife and I have been hearing a strange noise coming from the engine. We took it to the mechanic and the guy told us it was the air conditioner compressor going out. Tonight we were sitting at a red light in downtown Tampa and it just shut down. I pushed it into a parking lot and pulled the timing belt cover off to see if it was a broken timing belt and I saw a lot of slack in the belt but it wasn't broken. I looked further and found that the 2 idler pullies under the cams were not looking too good. Matter of fact the right hand one is pretty much in pieces and missing the washer and bolt in the end. My question (after all this rambling) is: How easy are these things to change and is that going to be the extent of it. I'm sure I will have to reset the timing but am I cool with the camshafts and all? Someone please help. We are poor workingcass people and can't afford a mechanic. Thank You all in advance for any help you can offer!!!!

Big Daddy

rhandwor
03-30-2008, 07:48 PM
You will need a new timing belt and idler pulleys. Auto Zone or Advanced Auto has a free loaner program for tools. Buy the better quality belt they have two mfgs they sell Dayco. You will need a harmonic balancer puller. You also will need a tool to hold the flywheel to loosen the nut.
Either buy a haynes manual as the belt has to be installed so the timing marks line up or go to a library and make a copy.
After you are done rotate it by hand and make sure the timing marks line up.
The crank has to be on top dead center and the camshaft gears both have to be lined up.
I had a friend with a Mazda who did it and bent all 16 valves I lent him a manual and he missed one camshaft and bent 8 valves. Be very careful on the marks. Put it on top dead center and use white out mark all the timing marks before you remove the belt. This is to double check you know where they are.

big daddy666
03-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Thank you so much for your reply! I am waiting on the idler pulley from NAPA as we speak. Does it need to be pressed on the shaft? I'm hip to the timing dilema with this engine. i already have the haynes manual. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again!!!!

rhandwor
03-31-2008, 04:21 PM
I've done some fords but I never had an idler pressed on I doubt it but it may be possible.

Add your comment to this topic!