Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sandblasting spindles

dwendt1978
03-15-2008, 02:37 PM
I have an 83 GT that I'm upgrading to SN95 brakes. I'm going to sandblast everything, but the question I have is when I disassemble the spindles, is it just as easy as wrapping it with electrical tape to protect the spindles finish?

I'm also thinking of having everything powdercoated to protect it even more. I'm not going to get to it for awhile but the parts are just rusting sitting there. Taking it in to have it powdercoated can't cost too much.

351wStang
03-15-2008, 05:55 PM
If you powder coat the spindles then the clearances will be off for the shocks etc.

Also I dont think that electric tape will hold up to a sandblaster.

dwendt1978
03-15-2008, 08:15 PM
I'd exercise caution when sandblasting the spindles. I'm ok with using paint. Something like POR15 or Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.

I have to do something to clean these up. I'm sure people sandblast these everyday. Just have to figure out how to go about it. I'm getting really anxious to get this under way but for now I have to work on protecting these parts for now.

Only thing I hate about spray paint is it's tendency to flake over time.

bobss396
06-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Something like heavy tape should work out. When I've done industrial blasting and we wanted to protect something, we had an assortment of rubber hoses to slip over critical items. For the stud holes you can tape them up or roll up some cardboard into a cone and slip that in the holes.

If you are working in a closed cabinet with the gloves, just stay away from the masked areas and you'll be ok.

Bob

MrPbody
06-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Another, safer alternative is to have them glass-beaded. Most machine shops have a glass-bead machine. It works just like a sand blaster, but the media (glass) is MUCH less aggressive and won't pit the metal like sand will. It will remove the rust and leave an excellent finish for painting. Glass won't hurt the bayonet portion (where the bearings ride and hub attaches). Just mask it with good masking tape before painting.

Jim

Add your comment to this topic!