Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

420a Turbo Kit. Anybody heard of/used this kit?

rs97eclipse1695
03-13-2008, 06:42 PM
http://www.advancedjdmparts.com/product.php?productid=16861&cat=301&page=1

has anybody used this kit. its only a grand. id obviously need some tuning software and a few other odds and ends. ideas, opinions, etc?

steviek
03-13-2008, 08:10 PM
well it includes soo many things it seems like a good deal. On the other hand you can bet your bottom dollar the parts are probably pretty shotty.

david-b
03-13-2008, 09:26 PM
I would use everything in there except the turbo, the BOV, and probably not the wastegate. It seems to be one of those "eBay" turbos known for breaking apart and all. I say that mostly because it's a "JDM T3/T4". Which means the BOV and WG probably sucks also. I'd upgrade the turbo to a Garrett T3/T4, Tial WG and probably a 1G crushed BOV.

Although there is a guy on Tuners that's using a "E16G" from one of those ebay packages and he's making power and the thing is holding up very nicely aparently. As I stated in a previous post, I would only use those turbos for motor break in (no boost) and then swap it out with a more "real" turbo.

The good thing with that kit is that the IC piping looks like it's all pre cut for perfect fitment. That's hard to find in kits. Just needs a downpipe now. ;)

vanilla gorilla
03-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I'd also stay away from cheaper parts like that. Although a friend of mine has been running an ebay t3/t4 turbo, ebay no-name external wastegate, and ebay no-name blow off valve on a gsr integra with good results and no problems for a while now, I'd still spend the extra money and get good, name brand parts.

rs97eclipse1695
03-13-2008, 11:41 PM
honestly id much rather shell out 2-3 grand for a hahn kit...but i just cant bring myself to spend that much on this car. i think my limit for the current eclipse is 2k before i call her quits and move on. i really feel like my motor is in good shape and im not aiming for high power. i just want something that will give her some get up and go. lets say 200 hp at 5 lbs tops.

this turbo HAS to be able to handle that unless its compleate shit. its nothing fancy or built for high power, but like i said i think it fits my goals.

EDIT: and dont tell me to trade it in with the 2k for a gst/x. this is my first car and its got sentimental value. i want IT to be respectably quick. with any luck, ill have a new car with a warranty soon at which point i can dump some real cash in this car and not worry about things breaking.

Thor06
03-14-2008, 12:24 AM
If you're not going to go balls in, then dont even bother yo.

SilvrEclipse
03-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Why dont you just put a kit together. You could get better quality parts and still get it cheap. Some of the parts may be fine, but if something fails it could cost you the motor.

steviek
03-14-2008, 01:22 AM
I actually think its worth a shot. From the looks of that turbo it looks pretty damn small which in the long run is probably good cause if that mbc or wastegate doesn't work you won't be putting too much stress on the car. I dunno I don't want to be responsible for you A) getting ripped off on parts that don't work or B) you blowing your motor due to some other problem like you not haveing a decent tune and running way to lean or just too much boost etc. But If its a turbo you want I mean you can't really beat the price. Considering a turbo alone costs anywhere from 500 to 1400. Just do what you think it can handle no one else knows your situation or your car more than you. Chances are the parts aren't great but will they serve their purpose> thats another story. Good luck what ever you choose.

SilvrEclipse
03-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Or get a used 14b for like $150. You could piece together a good turbo kit for about $1500-2k. And that would be a damn good setup. Even better than the hahn kit. And it would have better fuel management.

david-b
03-14-2008, 08:31 AM
I agree with Silver. Piecing together a kit is much better and will be cheaper. You get the parts that you want, and they'd be better parts. Again, I wouldn't trust that turbo, especially if it's under a constant load. Heat that thing up good and who knows what will happen. Sure you may be saving money up front, but should something go wrong, you could be buying a new motor.

rs97eclipse1695
03-14-2008, 04:07 PM
well ive made up my mind to spend no more than 3k on my car over the next year or 2.

i need to do something about seats, mine are shatty and megan racing has some that are cheap and hot
around 500

body work:
-paint and install side skirts
-fix a crack in the front bumper and paint it
-paint mirrors, door handles, and 3rd brake light
around 300

auto tranny blows, i wanna manual
around 1000

that leaves me roughly 1200 for a turbo not to mention i will need some help installing it due to my lack of turbo knowledge AND somebody to tune which i may can figure out with some good ol AF help

so my point is, its a kit all pieced together thats exactly what i want for a grand. if it will last me a year on my car without anything serious going wrong ill be in the clear with a new car, at which point the dsm will just be a toy to tinker with. if the motor blows after i get a new car. all the reason to build it and up the boost AFTER i get another car.

rs97eclipse1695
03-14-2008, 04:29 PM
Just needs a downpipe now. ;)

like this one (http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtml?p=310&cat_key=140&prodname=420a+304+Stainless+Steel+Downpipe+and+Dum p+Tube)?:icon16:

although im sure the local muffler shop will fab me one for cheaper

steviek
03-14-2008, 05:05 PM
not a bad price for a dp though right about average.

david-b
03-15-2008, 12:08 AM
Ya i've seen that one all over. That's ridiculous.

rs97eclipse1695
03-15-2008, 01:41 AM
ok guys, i think ive made up my mind. going to start parting pieces together for the kit next month. going to buy an emanage, bov, dp, waste gate, turbo, and gauges before may/june, at which point im going to buy that kit. ill sell the turbo, waste gate, and bov from the kit on ebay for what i paid for my parts, and then ill be turbo'd with good parts for the price of shitty ones. :iceslolan its pure genious i say!

Add your comment to this topic!