Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

manual clutch frozen to flywheel

garyS-NJ
03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
:banghead: 2766.1 (http://forums.delphiforums.com/auto/messages?msg=2766.1) I have a problem with my 76' firebird 400 4 speed. I left the car in storage for a time and now the clutch plate is "frozen" to the flywheel (can't change gears with it running and can't disengage trans with the clutch). I verified that the clutch linkage is working all the way to the clutch springs and even saw (via the bottom cover inspection plate) the clutch half loosening but not the half off the flywheel. I tried a couple of things including starting in first gear and jacking up the rear wheels to run in gear and then hit the brakes (with clutch pedal depressed).

I'm scouring the internet to see if there's something I can do besides pull the trans or engine/trans. I'm thinking about putting a wedge or blade btween the flywheel and clutch via the inspection cover on bottom. Also thinking of heating flywheel or clutch with a torch.

Any experience/ideas?? I'm sure this happens to many cars in storage.

garyS-NJ
03-11-2008, 12:31 PM
BTW, tomorrow, I'm going back at it so any help today/tonight much appreciated.

garyS:)

MrPbody
03-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Unless it sat in the rain, it's just a thin "film," of rust from moisture in the air. It's easy if you have two poeple. One sits in the car and depresses the clutch pedal. The other is under the car, and with a hammer and sharp chisel, tap (lightly) to force the thinnest part of the chisel between the disc and the flywheel. That should "pop" it loose.

Jim

garyS-NJ
03-11-2008, 02:38 PM
thanks Jim!
no, it didn't sit in the rain. It's been in a garage. The chisel/wedge was my plan (with friend on the clutch pedal) but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I was also thinking some heat on flywheel and then brake cleaner into clutch (a clean way to do a quick cool) might have thermal expansion help it snap free.

thanks again,
garyS-NJ

Add your comment to this topic!