Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 instrument cluster

dallert
03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
The instrument cluster on my 2002 mountaineer continues to reset intermittently. All of the lights and gages reset just like if the key is turned off and on. I removed the cluster and inspected the circuit board, but didn't see any obvious problem. Any thoughts?

Dave

shorod
03-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Hmm, the best I can offer would be to pull, inspect, and reseat fuse F2.21 (5-amp) in the Central Junction Box fuse panel as well as fuse F1.15 (5-amp) in the Battery Junction Box. You may also want to re-inspect the connection between connector C220a and the instrument cluster. Pay particular attention to the gray/yellow wire in connector location 8 and the red/white wire in location 17. There's a black/light blue ground wire at terminal location 5 and another one of the same color at location 16.

On connector C220b inspect the black ground connection at terminal location 11.

-Rod

dallert
03-09-2008, 11:43 PM
I checked the wires and fuses...didn't see anything abnormal. I noticed when I had the circuit board off of the cluster there was a black component about 1 inch in diameter x 1/2" tall that had a number CB-25AP-12-A and also had a 2 A on it. Could this be some kind of circuit breaker?

shorod
03-10-2008, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't expect a circuit breaker on the instrument cluster. Voltage regulator, maybe. Any chance you could take a picture of it, showing any symbols and part numbers visible, then post it on the web or e-mail a pic to me? Also, how many pins/terminals does it have?

If you'd like to go the e-mail route, I can send you a private message with my e-mail address.

-Rod

dallert
03-11-2008, 12:32 AM
I don't have a picture of it, but if I remove the cluster again I'll take one. It had two terminals soldered on the circuit board.(one had + next to it)
I noticed today sitting in the vehicle during lunch with the motor off and the ignition switch on acc, the radio sound clicked off, then back on. The instrument cluster wasn't on, so nothing happened there.

Send me an email to dave.allert@gd-itronix.com.

Thanks

shorod
03-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Your description sounds like it could be a form of supercapacitor. Does it look like any of these (http://www.mouser.com/catalog/633/703.pdf)?

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!