Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CL65, what's the point??

raven1822
02-26-2003, 03:04 AM
Hey, I would love to have on. But considering the CL55 and CL600 are more than enough what exactly is 600+bhp and 700+lb-ft. of torque used for in a luxury car?????

993cc Man
03-07-2003, 09:18 AM
...the point is that people that buy this sort of cars will always want to buy the most expensive and the most powerful latest exotic that is just out.

raven1822
03-07-2003, 09:26 AM
I do indeed agree with you. But I still have to ask, "what's the point".

MB through no fault of their own, is going to have people killing themselves soon. 95% of the people who buy cars like these have no idea what they have under their foot. These cars have such large, flat torque curves, and are so heavy, you are going to see more and more of them wrapped around telephone poles and guard rails.

993cc Man
03-08-2003, 09:34 AM
I do agree with you even more! Money doesnt buy you driving skill (yeah I know about the driving schools and track days but still theres no way youre going to learn how to steer a McLaren after a few private lessons...) .

But on the OTHER hand most of the people who buy these cars dont really care about taking them to the limit. They just feel the urge to get as many expensive toys as they possibly can. It's called showing off. And occasionally they see them as an investment too.

So, the rule is that these products of trully brilliant minds are really totally a wasted effort. This is a sad but true fact.

Guido
03-08-2003, 11:07 AM
It's not sad, it's shwoing to the world of what you as a manufacturer are capable of.

And yes, people buy these cars. And I guess a lot of those beauties will end up in collections with very low mile-ages on the clock.

Heep
04-23-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by raven1822
what exactly is 600+bhp and 700+lb-ft. of torque used for in a luxury car?????

To say "I have more power than you do."

:D

ChristopherJ
05-16-2003, 09:16 AM
I dont' know why anyone would buy SLR when you could get a CL55, CL600 or CL65. I suppose the only reason is if you just had to have the most expenseive 2 door Merc money could buy. Mercedes have one powerful line up of models at the moment. :)

CHaserTourv
08-06-2003, 01:00 PM
I like the idea for the CL65, its for us speed demons, its not just a luxury car, the AMG's are all Sports/Luxury, alot of ppl cant have a car thatz slow, my moms a speed demon when she got sick of not able to pass slow driver while at the same time trying to exit, so she bought a 2000 Volvo V70 R AWD wagon, the fast one which went 0-60 in 6.1 seconds,(which is pretty fast for a Wagon), and shes waiting for the S65 to come out. Im a speed demon also, thatz y i have a 2003 Mercedes-Bez S600 Lorinser Edition, for the power of almost a Ferrari, but the luxury of a Mercedes

AlexusVTEC
09-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Yeah someone had to ask. My question is will the 65 amg series engine replace the 55AMG thruout all the models? by the way i just heard about this SL 65 which is a twin turbo v12. wow. what to do with all that power??? and why 65 if its actually a 6 liter engine?

TheScientist
09-16-2003, 04:48 PM
Yeah someone had to ask. My question is will the 65 amg series engine replace the 55AMG thruout all the models? by the way i just heard about this SL 65 which is a twin turbo v12. wow. what to do with all that power??? and why 65 if its actually a 6 liter engine?

That's what Mercedes-Benz has planned. The 65 will replace the 55 AMG's. The engine will be a 6.5 liter I believe, with 600+ HP. All 65s will have the twin BiTurbo V12s. Some people can't stand those Sunday drivers(no offense if you are, there's no problem with that). So they want to get around them. Both the SL65 and CL65, and the distant future S65 will have the same engines.

gti1689
09-24-2003, 02:54 PM
i hope that there is an e65 amg to serve as an answer for the new m5 and the new rs6. the e55 mght be the daddy right now, but a v10 m5 w/500 or more hp might change that. mercedes has been playing catch up to bmw in terms of acceleration for a long time and i want the currnt cituation 2 stay the way it is. the e55 should stay on top, bmw or not.

MioCLK
10-12-2003, 12:03 PM
the CL65 is all about WANTS, not NEEDS
who really NEEDS a 600+hp for the road?
but i bet a lotta people WANT 600+hp for their car, right?
the point of getting this car is to show your wealth,
you have a car worth more than some people's house
it is just like wearing a $100,000 Rolex, there is no point
a $20 watch might be even more functional
humans are just never satisfied
that is also what keeps us moving forward,
to create better and better things to satisfy our UNLIMITED WANTS

TheScientist
10-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Interesting and true point MioCLK.

MioCLK
10-12-2003, 03:04 PM

I doubt the V12 bi-turbo is gonna replace the V8 kompressor
I think the V12 bi-turbo will just be a small volume production,
like the CL63, which never made it to the US.
the CL 65 goes for around Euro 175,000 in Europe,

those numbers don't really reflect to the engine displacement anymore. as for the 240 engine, which they made it to a 2.6L, and now 180K, 200K, 230K(except slk), are all 1.8L, 350 is 3.7L
CL600 is 5.5L, as CL65 is 6.0L

TheScientist
10-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Can;t Wait for the new S65 to come out.

Carrera GT
12-14-2003, 02:30 PM
I've read that in the future they'll bring out a new version of the CL65 with the 7G-Tronic gearbox. As it now stands the CL65's engine gives out 617 bhp, but with the new seven speed its said to be able to give out 700bhp.

MB said that one of the reasons for making the 65 was customer demand but also having such a powerful car is a very big status symbol and shows just what the company is capable of.

mastafred
12-14-2003, 11:18 PM
the point is Benz is so much ahead of everyone else that they shouldnt even try to make something to out run them

MB tech
12-15-2003, 10:16 PM
NO the 65 AMG will not replace the 55 Because let's face it not everyone will be able to afford or want the power of a 65. And believe it or not some people do take these cars to the track every now and then where it's legal and safe to complety open these cars up. And by the way for all you heavy footed driver's. I've worked on several cars from the body shop from people who think they can handle a car with this much power but were proven wrong. So PLEASE drive reasonable and keep other people in mind.

TheScientist
12-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Dude, why you getting so pissed? The CL65 was INTENDED to replace teh CL55 at the time the spy info was released. But they recently changed the plans, and along side the CL65 AMg, will be th S65 AMG, replacing Europe's S63 AMG, but it's being sold in US too. the S65 will feature the same options as the CL65.

ell_d
04-09-2004, 06:55 AM
The 55 and 65 will be sold along side one another. It’s only like selling the C180K and the C200K. There is a difference in price.
AMG will launch the 69 V12 bi-turbo late next year, but it will not stop the production of the 55/65. Although i appreciate that these are expensive cars, a bottom spec SL55 AMG sells for £92'370 over here, but the base spec SL69 AMG is expected to cots upwards of £140'000... and lets face it, £50K is a substantial amount to all but the richest of people.
I could well have afforded an S65 AMG, but chose a 55 because it gave me more cash to spend on in-car toys, and with my SL65 on the way, my S55 is fine for travelling too and from work. It is true that i do enjoy the feeling of speed but there is a time and a place, and while the 55 is massively capable, i rarely floor it. My new SL is going to replace a much-loved Porsche 911 Turbo, a car in which i have had many a good experience. Having said this, after 2 years, i have only clocked 26'950 miles, where as the S class already has 34'000 and its only 9 months old!
These high power mercs, and other cars for that matter can serve well as a day to day car, but it makes my week travel considerably faster, when i think that come the weekend, me and my wife can go for a blast, in my favourite toy, on a warm Saturday evening.

dannyboy29
08-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone, I found this place doing a search on CL65. Hope you don't mind me giving my two pence worth, but I think the CL65 is a cool bit of kit. (and no I'm not a fanboy, it's the first Merc which has really caught my eye).

Anyway, I think asking 'what's the point' is daft. It's like asking the point of the space shuttle or the Olympics. The human race would happily continue to survive without either, but nevertheless both are pretty cool, as long as you turn a blind eye to the economics.

Furthermore, the CL65 was borne out of the arms race brewing between the German heavyweights for the last few years which, as already stated above, is basically a prestige issue. I'm sure even Daimler-Benz, Audi and BMW wouldn't really deny that.

As long as people can afford these cars, they'll be built.....simple as that :smile:

finally_retired
08-18-2004, 05:32 PM
I have had the pleasure of driving the CL65, and its astonishing. I have also just taken delivery of my very own SL65 AMG.

I keep hearing this, "what is the point?", well, as an owner and a long term fan of the SL i can tell you that it is a dream come true.

I am driving a future museum piece. It will be a collectors item before long, and who knows, may be I mite be able to make a profit on it if I keep it for the same time I have had my 300SL gullwing...

Furthermore, the 65 is not replacing the 55. and the 65 with the 7G tronic will be called the 69 AMG and will have 1001nm of tourque. The point of the 65 is, that I can overtake 7 cars traveling at 60 mph in my car, in the time it would take an average car to overtake one. I cant wait to experience the SL69AMG

993cc Man
10-26-2004, 02:14 PM
I have had the pleasure of driving the CL65, and its astonishing. I have also just taken delivery of my very own SL65 AMG.

I keep hearing this, "what is the point?", well, as an owner and a long term fan of the SL i can tell you that it is a dream come true.

I am driving a future museum piece. It will be a collectors item before long, and who knows, may be I mite be able to make a profit on it if I keep it for the same time I have had my 300SL gullwing...

Furthermore, the 65 is not replacing the 55. and the 65 with the 7G tronic will be called the 69 AMG and will have 1001nm of tourque. The point of the 65 is, that I can overtake 7 cars traveling at 60 mph in my car, in the time it would take an average car to overtake one. I cant wait to experience the SL69AMG

Man, you had a gullwing :sunglasse , well if you still come around here tell us about it and the reason why you sold it....

finally_retired
10-26-2004, 05:08 PM
I havn't sold it. I still have it. I may have confused you with my use of tenses, but I still have the gullwing, and have had it valued at over 3 times the value that I paid for it.

I will not sell it, I'll leave it to one of my sons, and let them decide what to do with it. It would break my heart to sell it.

2.2 Straight six
07-04-2005, 11:44 AM
why ? because mercedes can put a 6.5litre twin turbo V-12 in a CL and know that people would buy one, if i had the money i would go straight out and buy one. i love the CL, and one with something like a 3.5 litre engine is underpowered from the weight, with 600bhp you get ferrari-beating performance with an uber-luxurious interior an truth be told, i absolutely love the CL65.

Add your comment to this topic!