Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

cruise control wiring diagrams needed

3100MPFI
03-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I am working on my friends 1991 van (full size with the 5.7 and auto). She wants me to add CRUISE CONTROL. I have already confirmed that it has the ELECTRIC VSS, so wiring it in should be simple enough.

Can someone get me the wiring diagrams for the cruise control? The local junkyard has a 1993 with the same engine/transmission that I am getting the parts off of. Can someone get the wiring for both the 1991, and the 1993?

Thanks

MT-2500
03-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Adding a cruise control to one that does not have the OEM wiring for cruise control can be a night mare.
You may have to get the complete engine and under dash and steering wheel switches and all wiring harness plus the cruise control unit.
And jumping 2 years adds to the night mare.
Wiring diagrams can be found in a factory repair manual or a All data online sub.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html

I would suggest a good quality after market cruise control kit for it.
Check around in your area and see if any place has a good one for it.
MT

3100MPFI
03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
wiring comes easy to me. Lets just put it this way, I just finished rewiring my 1988 Cutlass Supreme to use a 1996 OBD2 PCM.

I have most of the parts already. Wiring is not difficult as long as you have the proper wiring diagrams.

The problem with ALLDATA (and getting an aftermarket cruise control setup) is that it costs MONEY, and the thing is that I already have all the parts to do this swap. I just need to get the wiring diagrams so that I know it is installed PROPERLY.

3100MPFI
03-11-2008, 08:52 PM
forgot to add that you do NOT have to swap out an entire ENGINE just to add in cruise control. You might have to swap out the throttle body (at the WORST), but in this case, I already know that all I need is the little bracket, and the rod that goes to the TBI unit, and all will be well with the world..... At least as far as mounting it goes.

I already have the main part of the wiring, but I need to know things like where at at the ECM does the VSS signal come from? What wires at the brake switch does it go too? Unfortunantly, the only GM service manuals that I have are for GM CARS, and this van is a little different.

MT-2500
03-12-2008, 08:44 AM
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html
Sometimes you can get manuals on E bay.
Some public liabarys have car repair info.
AZ web site also has some to.

Add your comment to this topic!