Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cutting Weight, Remove Rear Seats?

kubiakco
02-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi there, im looking for a cheap way to add some speed to my 91 Camaro RS so i figured ill cut weight, thats free right? Well id like to remove the rear seats but i cant figure it out, does anyone have any experiance with this? So basically....

1. How can i remove the rear seats?

2. Any other ways to cut weight (i dont want to ruine my interior so ill keep the passenger seat, carpet, and most other stock parts... also i know i can replace almost everything with something lighter, its just to expensive and id rather just buy a 350 engine.

Thanks for the input!

79transam92
03-06-2008, 02:47 PM
as long as you don't need em', so I would use google for seat removal, probably a bolt somewhere.

1986Z28
03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
bottom cushions there is one bolt under them in the front, its a 13mm, then the seat back there are one 13mm nut on either side

chevyrulespops
03-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey throw out the spare tire and the jack that will save you about 10 to 20 pounds. lol just kidding man...save some money and throw a ram jet 502 in there then you could fill it up with 4 or 5 people and still be faster than everyone else...

ikeyballz
03-20-2008, 05:39 AM
rear seats wont save you too much weight, im afraid..if youre gonna go weight reduction youre gonna have to go pretty all out, since we have a fat car to begin with, weight lost % will NOT significantly change with small drops in weight, compared with a light car losing MORE weight..

if youre seirous abt it, how about lexan windows/hatch/fiberglass hood?

radio, AC delete? AC compressor does put some drag on your engine..

chevyrulespops
03-20-2008, 10:21 AM
I would also look into cutting out any unnecessary metal from the heavy doors

stepho
03-20-2008, 11:05 AM
I would also look into cutting out any unnecessary metal from the heavy doors

unecessary metal = saves your life in a t-bone crash.

also dont take the carpet out and door panels off, cuz undernieth that is metal that turns into knives in a crash

GreyGoose006
03-26-2008, 07:49 PM
use fiberglass.

fiberglass hood saves about 20 lbs. mine is a daytona hood i believe, and i love it
fiberglass fenders save about 10 lbs per side
lightweight wheels will help a lot more than you think.
i beleve VFN sells a onepiece front end for the camaro, but i cant remember.
take out the back seats
if it were me, id take out the ac completely cause it will save about 20+ lbs of stuff and you have less drag slightly... although i am pretty sure the compressor shuts off at WOT anyway...
start there and then go for induction and exhaust.
after that, do a new cam and 1.6 lifters. go roller if you can afford it.
lexan windows seem extreme to me, but hey, its worth a try.

Add your comment to this topic!