Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

DEI/Valet 712T Keyless Entry, anyone have any experience?

cornballbub2
02-18-2008, 04:40 PM
This model only costs about $35-40. I've heard/read that these are good units, however, has anyone had any experience installing one on a 2006? I'm not that good with wiring and I don't want to blow a module. Any help would be appreicated.

shorod
02-18-2008, 09:32 PM
I've installed a few of these as well as their clones. The range is reasonably good for a non-FM unit and for the price. I've never installed one on a 2006, but I don't think there' s anything significantly different for the 2006 model year as far as the lock system goes.

If you're not very familiar with automotive wiring though, the wiring necessary to install one of these could be pretty overwhelming for you.

-Rod

cornballbub2
02-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Hey, thanks.

I was hoping someone had a step-by-step guide...

I thought that over the years these would have become easier to install. 10 yrs ago I tried on a F150, but the instructions were encrypted and before I knew it my brain was fried. Then the unit was acccidently stepped on :evillol:. If things haven't changed much (cause, either have I) and there's still 20-30 wires hanging out of these things then I guess its best to have it pro installed.

I was hoping someone had a step-by-step guide...

shorod
02-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Well, the only real step-by-step guide you should need is a good wiring diagram. If you start out with the wiring diagram and determine which polarity door locks you have and which features you want installed, that will narrow down the number of wires you need to connect. One improvement over modules from years ago is many of the newer units have the relays built-in so you don't need to wire up as many of those.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!