Rack & Pinion ... Seal Replacement??

Luke Home
02-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Hello,

Does anybody know how to get the passenger side inner seal replaced on the rack & pinion? I would like to know how to get the end off so I can get at the seal beyond it to replace it because it leaks. Please see the picture below:

Picture Link: (http://myweb.cebridge.net/luke1027/Rack_end.JPG)

http://myweb.cebridge.net/luke1027/Rack_end.JPG

Thanks ....

MazdaX
02-03-2008, 05:21 PM
I think those are hydrolic pressed.

Luke Home
02-04-2008, 06:11 AM
I think those are hydrolic pressed.
Ok ..... any experience in getting the end removed to replace the seal beyond it??

MazdaX
02-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Well if they are hydrolic pressed then you need a hydrolic press/pull to pop them free and get into the seals and bearings inside. I would recommend taking it to either someone who works with axles or the dealership for the seal replacement.

Good luck on the repairs.

Luke Home
02-05-2008, 06:50 AM
... I would recommend taking it to either someone who works with axles or the dealership for the seal replacement. ...

Thanks for the reply ... I do not mean any offense here... But
I think NOT! The main reason for forums is to educate and share experience of Hands-On repairs. Certainly there maybe times when one has to go to a specialized service for repairs, but I guess the obvious would be … then we won’t need any of these forums.
For those who do not want to get a rebuilt or new rack & pinion and are willing to learn, and yes make the mistakes to gain experience, here is some info from another forum:

Rack & Pinion Seal Kits can be purchased from www.rockauto.com
And a link to a good start to rebuilding your own rack & pinion is:
Here (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-suspension-brakes/226656-how-remove-rebuild-power-steering-rack.html)

Hope this helps somebody else ...

ned032002
02-05-2008, 08:02 AM
That seems like one hell of a project. I would seriously recommend going to some one to have that done.

Luke Home
02-05-2008, 10:17 AM
That seems like one hell of a project. ...

On a scale of "one hell of a project" (10) and "going to someone" (1) ...
where does pulling a motor/trans, rebuilding the motor completely, and chancing out the Over-Drive Disc on trans fall in??????

I think this project would be elementary given a few good forums and a few people who have been through it.

I guess I think different and that is my 2:2cents:

SilvrEclipse
02-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I would also recommend have it done by someone who knows about this stuff.

The problem is that no one on here has probably ever attempted this and thats why no one is helping you. If you really want to do it yourself you would be better off searching the internet and try to find out how to change the seal. You should be able to find enough info that will help you out some.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-suspension-brakes/226656-how-remove-rebuild-power-steering-rack.html

I also saw where someone gave you this link on dsmtalk, this is all the info you need.

Luke Home
02-05-2008, 10:24 AM
...If you really want to do it yourself you would be better off searching the internet and try to find out how to change the seal. You should be able to find enough info that will help you out some.

Thank you ... this is very good advice ... and I will heed to it.

I will post back if anybody cares to hear about the out come.

Luke

SilvrEclipse
02-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Why dont you give us a write up for it. That way we wont have this problem in the future.

david-b
02-05-2008, 10:31 AM
I would like to see how this turns out and as always I encourage people to do things on their own. You do need the right tool for the right job, which is where the shop usually comes in, but it's entirely on you. Good luck and let us know how everything goes.

MazdaX
02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Heh..well live and let live and let learn I say.

Drink of the month btw is White Russian =P

Luke Home
02-25-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-suspension-brakes/226656-how-remove-rebuild-power-steering-rack.html

Well, finally got the rack and pinion rebuild this last weekend. And really, there is no need to add much else to the "How-To" link above. The only problems I had was getting the inner seal out. That baby is over 11" down in the tube and with no lip to knock it out from the other end with a long shaft. I ended up using a long screwdriver and able to bend the side wall over to create a lip that I was able to get the knock-out shaft on from the other end. The only other thing was the 5 nylon wipers .... they took a bit to get them on without breaking... but it was possible. Still need to get it installed for the final test. But of coarse the motor needs to back in too before actual rack & pinion testing can take place. I would advise any body willing to rebuild a motor to certainly rebuild there rack & pinion if it needs it.

My :2cents: :2cents:

Add your comment to this topic!