Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Should I?

TwinchargedSol
01-27-2008, 01:17 AM
I have always liked the "Z" cars, and I was thinking of purchasing a 1979 280zx.
here is a description from his "craigslist" ad.
It has cold air. He just put $1200 dollars (in reciepts) for new parts that were installed within 4 months ago (including new shocks). Has a working CD player. 5 speed manual. it has power windows, power locks, and power steering. and the best part, it only has 73,000 miles on it.
oh and he said he is the third owner.
He has it listed for $2800 dollars, but he said he will take $2600 dollars.
I am going to look at it tomorrow, in person.
so, my question to y'all is... do you guys think its a good buy? (if it runs okay), and anything info on stuff i should look at? (i.e. common rust spots and the like)

here is a link for the ad: http://daytona.craigslist.org/car/549116857.html

Broke_as_****
01-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Most guys around here have the later model Z31s and Z32s. You might have more luck zdriver.com.

Hodo
01-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Common rust spots, easy on the S130s, same as the S30s..

Floorboards, wheel wells, right in front of the doors at the base of the running board of the car. And near the rear quarter panel.

Also check around windshield and the rear glass for rust bubles under the paint. Take a magnet to check to see how much bondo has been used to patch up holes. The way I look is I take a small craftsman or other type of screwdriver with mini-magnet on the back and I walk around the car seeing if it will stick, if it does its metal and good, if it dont its bondo thats bad... I check places I know that should be metal. Start it and let it run, it should run smooth, its a 2.8L inline 6 so it should sound smooth, not rumbly. It should also be fuel injected that year so check the power.... dont go out and test drive it hard, just see if it responds to throttle input. Otherwise check with the guys that broke suggested.

TwinchargedSol
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
i'll go to that.
thanks for everyone's help. :D

Add your comment to this topic!