Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tuning pros. complete exhaust.

ttfox88
01-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I was searching though e-bay for a cat back exhaust for my 1990 Z; I found that a company Tuning pros is selling a complete exhaust system (excl. cat) headers, downpipes, and cat back exhaust. My question is do I need the whole system that they advertise, or just a cat back Exhaust? My ZX is not turbo and all I've done to it is put a JWT pop charger, and the under drive pulley set. I once read that you don't need headers on an N/A. Was this correct? thank u for any advice.:)

Broke_as_****
01-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Just the cat back should be fine for a non-turbo. The mid pipes between the headers and cat back aren't going to hurt but they aren't going to free up a bunch of power either. After that there really isn't enough exhaust restriction to justify the expense and time involved with putting a set of headers on the car. It's not going to make a lot more power, just more noise really. After an intake, UD pulley and cat-back, I'd start looking towards cheap suspension mods like urethane bushings and sub-frame spacers to enhance the driving experience.

Hodo
01-21-2008, 04:51 PM
OK finaly someone with a car like mine, a non-turbo.

You can make power with a NA, it just takes more. Anyone who says headers are not needed on a NA is a idiot. But to start the cheapest route to start freeing up power on the NA is to go with the pop charger, then the catback exhaust, I would suggest Lebree Sebring exhaust system. Then if you still want more, go for high flow cats, dont go test pipes to much of a environmental/EPA nightmare. If you live in a state that doesnt have those restrictions then go for it. But I am not suggesting it. After intake and exhaust look at the JWT ECU. After the ECU, you can consider headwork and headers. But let me warn you, you are looking at most, 300BHP out of the VG30DE, if you dont look at Nitrous. But even then you are looking at well over 10Gs into that engine. When you can make a 600BHP TT for the same price. But if you are looking to just build up a NA and make it a bit quicker then its pretty easy. Good luck.

Broke_as_****
01-22-2008, 03:09 AM
It's not so much that it's not needed as much as what are you getting for the time and effort?

Hodo
01-22-2008, 04:59 PM
So true broke.

ttfox88
01-24-2008, 04:47 PM
so the pop charger, pulley kit, cat back, and high flow converters should be enough? any thing more just swap for a tt right? what about the jwt ecu can a get one without doing some work on the heads?

Broke_as_****
01-25-2008, 02:54 AM
so the pop charger, pulley kit, cat back, and high flow converters should be enough? any thing more just swap for a tt right? what about the jwt ecu can a get one without doing some work on the heads?

Yes you can run the ECU with no head work. What are you looking to do with this car? Cruise, autocross, drift, road course...etc?

ttfox88
01-27-2008, 06:08 AM
just to have the most power out of it in case i want to show of a little with somebody on the road. its probably goin to be my everyday driver but u know theirs always some on a light that wants to run a little i just dont want to be that stock.

Hodo
01-28-2008, 10:44 PM
For showing off in that car, its easier just to sit in a parking lot and let the girls come to you..... It looks better than the Neons, WRXs and Evos that ussually sit there nowadays. God I miss the old days of Civics and Integras. At least they had class. Thought I would never say that.

But yes thats about all you need if you want a bit more power.... even with all that you listed with a tuned ECU you are looking at most a gain of 50BHP, Thats not alot.

Add your comment to this topic!