Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My car arrived this evening!

Blue Streak 21
01-13-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm very pumped! My car was delivered this evening by All Pro Trucking. It showed up at the house around 6:00 this evening. I started it up and drove it off the truck. All the gear heads in the neighborhood came by to see what car was so freakin' loud.:naughty:
No problems to report with the car from the shipping. The plastic I used to cover the windows and rear deck lid all stood up to the 1600 mile journey. Everything inside the car was nice a dry.
Now starts my "to do" list. I'll first write the list with the help of all the posts here. I'll add daily to the laundry list of things to check and change before the first track day. Nut and bolt the car is high on my list, as well as changing out spings (front and rear). When I putting on the new rotors, I'll check the spindles for cracks.
I looked for the stiffing ribs on the square tubes which the front suspension attaches. I'm not one of the lucky ones that had these ribs added. One more thing to add to the list.....
I'll send pics tomorrow as I start the project. My goal is to have the car ready for a February track day. Should be very doable.

Cobra4B
01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
^ Congrats :D I'm getting ours ready for the NASA event at VIR end of Feb. Can you swap to stiffer springs and still run the Konis? I'd like to get some 550 front springs and move the 350s to the rear. Can I do that?

Squerly
01-14-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm very pumped! My car was delivered this evening by All Pro Trucking. Yippee! :thumbsup:

Blue Streak 21
01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
I jumped right into the disassembly of the car this evening. I put the car up on jack stands, and got after it. I pulled the tires off and inspected the brakes and suspension. I pulled the front rotors so I could replace them. It went smoothly. I also pulled the nose off the car so I can get a couple of cracks fixed.
A couple of notes from the inspection and disassembly.
1) The Brembo's are 4 piston calipers not 6.
2) My car has some of the stiffining done to the frame. The only missing additional members are the stiffening ribs on the vertical steel tubes where the front suspension attaches. I have steel lined up to weld to the rectangular tubes.
3) I have the 3/4" thick plywood in the foot well on the friver side. Don't know why it's there. For wear? The underside panel is fine.
4) The spindles are in good shape. No visible scratches, gouges, or cracks. The spindles are Coleman P/N 809 102 for both left and right sides.
5) Motor mounts are also in good shape. Rubber looks great, no slippage. The motor does sit low. Might be in need of those solid mounts or spacers.

Here is a pic of the car after the nose was taken off and the front brakes were disassembled.
http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/stoughtong/Front%20end%20off.jpg

Cobra4B
01-14-2008, 11:08 PM
^ So are the spindles custom? Or can we buy them directly from Coleman? My parts list shows them at $70-something each. I was quoted $150ish each from Panoz.

Cobra4B
01-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Don't you love how easy they are to work on :D I need to pull my nose piece off so I can add some screen to the radiator opening and brake openeings to protect against large debris.

Blue Streak 21
01-14-2008, 11:16 PM
^ So are the spindles custom? Or can we buy them directly from Coleman? My parts list shows them at $70-something each. I was quoted $150ish each from Panoz.
I don't see why they can't be purchasd directly from Coleman.

I do love how easily you can work on the cars. They are straight forward for the most part. I'm sure I'll be challenged by many things, but so far so good.:iceslolan

JML68
01-15-2008, 02:07 PM
The spindle geometry is specific to the Panoz GT-RA, GT-WC and GTS and differs from the off the shelf Coleman parts. Coleman has to build them to order for us which is why they are more pricey.

Cobra4B
01-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Where is your wheel speed sensor mounted? Can you take a good pic of it for me? Mine's not hooked up. Jim (Gatorac) took pics of his for me, but I want to see if other cars are mounted the same way becaue his sensor looks different than mine.

Blue Streak 21
01-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Where is your wheel speed sensor mounted? Can you take a good pic of it for me? Mine's not hooked up. Jim (Gatorac) took pics of his for me, but I want to see if other cars are mounted the same way becaue his sensor looks different than mine.

Here's a pic of the wheel speed sensor. It's mounted on the left rear brake caliper bracket. Hope this helps. I have not run the car at the track yet, so I don't know if the Pi dash/data pack is working. One of those thousand things I need to check out on the car....:rofl:

http://www.myfilestash.com/userfiles/stoughtong/Speed%20sensor%20003.jpg

Cobra4B
01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Wierd... mine is messed up and I can't see how to connect it. It was coiled up on the LF upper frame rail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/cobra4b/Panoz%20GTRA/DSCF1140.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/cobra4b/Panoz%20GTRA/DSCF1141.jpg

GaryJonesMotorspor
01-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Blue Streak BE SURE to at least un-hook the battrey from your car and it would be a great idea to un-hook both the ECM and the dist. before you do ANY welding on your car....All of this should only take about 15 min.You run a big risk of doing damage to these if you don't...When you hook everything back up the car may run a little rough until the ECM re-programs itself so don't be alarmed if it dose...Congrats on getting your car...Now the fun begins...Gary

Add your comment to this topic!