Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mystery Oil Leak

Bear
12-26-2007, 07:51 PM
OK, took the 2007 V6 to the dealer and was told might be a oil filter reservoir "O": ring and to watch it, they put dye in system and will recheck at a time TBD. The filter reservoir is dry on the out side, the oil is poling on the transmission case below the throttle body air intake hose, and there is a sensor upstream from the leak that threads into the block and that is wet with oil, is this the pressure sending unit for the lubrication system, any tehcies out there? Friend with same car and same leak was told today the same thing and the fix was to replace the reservoir "O" ring. His car also has oil on that mystery sensor. Two cars, same year and with 100 miles of each other, any one want to jump in on this one. I have a black light so I can check the leak area, but I feel that a bad sesnor gasket is the issue.

melgregor
09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
I know you asked this question long ago, but I just stumbled across it and thought I would share my experience with you. My 2007 Sonata was also leaking oil. At first I was told it was a defective oil filter. After Hyundai service changed this, the leak persisted. Bottom line was timing belt housing not completely sealed in the factory. Hyundai had to take engine out and reseal. All covered under warranty, of course, but they had the car for 3 days and I had to fight for them to pay for a rental. (Service manager told me later that more cars had come in with this problem.)

Add your comment to this topic!