Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

hybrid engine idea for IS200

slydar
02-07-2003, 11:26 PM
this is just a thought ive had once or twice, im in austarlia, and here, up untill recently, the only variant of this car we could get was the IS200, though now the IS300 is available, either way when im in the position to buy one, ill probably be looking at the earlier IS200 version. anyway the engine in this model is the 1G-FE, definately nothing to exciting, so obviously if i had one, id be looking to do something about that :) of course there are the obvious swaps, 3S-GE from the alteeza (then turbo charged) 3S-GTE from an MR2 or GT4 celica, or a 1JZ-GTE, or 2JZ-GTE. one thing about those though is that to legally register a car with an engine coversion in Austrlia, the car from which the engine came from can not be older than the car its going into, this doesnt count all the previously mentioned options out, but what i was thinking of, was maybe retain the the original 1G-FE block and retro fit the head, and also possibly crank, rods, and any other desireable engine internals from a 1G-GTE from an early supra. the head design is more desireable as it is a true performance orientated design (actually designed by yamaha, as i think all the G type heads are, though im not too sure about the latest VVT-i and VVTL-i ones) where as the F type toyata heads are more aimed at economy (narrower valve angle, small vaves, ect.) as for anything else, who really knows, id say the rods would be a more sustantial design, possibly the crank also, though age might be a concern with the rods, the turbo version might also possibly have piston oil squirters which could in all likely hood be fitted, as it is unlikey the oil gallery's would be changed. the turbo oil feed might also come in handy. the obvious advantages of this type of conversion are the retention of standard engine mounts, no hassle with registration (as far as age and engine mount engineering go anyway) and also, hybrid engines are just cool :) disadvantages are ofcourse the age of the engine, meaning finding a suitable donor might be difficult, though at the current point in time, there is no shortage of 1G-GTE's lying around import wreckers here, and a thorough examination could show up any faults (such as cracks from over heating) theyre also dirt cheap anyway, so even if it takes 1 or 2 to find a good one, its not too big of a deal. thoughts and comments?

Supra650RSP
03-25-2003, 09:54 PM
That sounds pretty cool actually. Personally though I would go for a used IS300 and get a 99 version of the 2JZ-GTE which incorporates
VVT-i technology. A single turbo swap later and you have one wicked machine.

I love the creativity behind your idea though. keep us updated and let us know how it comes out...I'm very interested.

slydar
03-25-2003, 11:52 PM
:) cheers for the compliments man, but unless i win the lotto sometime soon, its going to stay as an idea for quite sometime. if i actually did win the lotto though, work would start on the project straight away, along with a few others... ;) vvt-i is cool i guess, but i think up to the minute turbo technology could compinsate for any advantage adjustable cam timing could offer. the is200 project might not be underway anytime real soon, but if i end up getting this job at the exhaust shop, my turbo'd flip front AE86 might not be to far off.. :sun:

Add your comment to this topic!