Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

power problems

91g20
01-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Hey all,
Wrap your heads around this one for me will ya?
My '91 G20 has lost all of it's power! I can't even accelerate up hills on the interstate anymore. When I punch it, it downshifts and the engine revs up but I get no acceleration. What could it be?

Also sometimes when I come to a stop, I get this weird chirping noise coming from the engine. I've tried to trace it down but I just can't tell where it's coming from. It's not the belt, I tightened that. It a chirp that increases in frequency along with RPMs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joel

ales
01-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Automatic? Seems like you have a problem with the gearbox, as it seems that the engine is doing all it is supposed to. At least from your description.

When you rev it up (in neutral), does it rev normally or not?

Alex

91g20
01-25-2003, 01:52 PM
I just tried revving it in Neutral and it sounds fine.
It idles a little rough though. I had some problems with it dying on me after startup in cold weather but I tightened the alternator belt up & it fixed that.

I drove it agin and it seems that up to about 3K RPM everything's fine. After that, no power.

The tranny has been giving me trouble for a while. It's hard to get into reverse after the car has warmed up. Cold, it's fine but after it's warmed up, I'll put it in reverse and nothing happens. Then I tap the pedal up to about 1500-2000 RPM and it clunks into reverse.

I changed the tranny fluid & filter and it helped, but not much and not for long.

So you think it's the tranny?

Joel

91g20
01-25-2003, 01:57 PM
Oh, one more thing. I just noticed that it has a hole in the muffler. I don't know if that has any bearing on any of this or not.

I's my wife's car & I don't drive it too much.

"Oh yeah honey, my car started making a weird noise"

"How long ago?"

"A couple of months"

"ARRRRRRGGGGHHH"

Thanks,
Joel

Add your comment to this topic!