Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rolls Royce Phantom

Deakins
01-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Do you like it?
Did BMW mess this up too?

I especially like how they stole the umbrella idea from Skôda :D
Some things are best left alone :rolleyes:

http://www.bilnorge.no/export/bb_8911.jpeg
http://www.bilnorge.no/export/bb_8912.jpeg
http://www.bilnorge.no/export/bb_8913.jpeg

Heep
01-06-2003, 12:55 PM
Ugh...BMW did indeed mess it up, IMO. It may look better in person, but if I'm gonna pay the amount of money a Rolls costs, it better not look like that.

I'm not too pleased with BMW stylists of late...

tigermiata
01-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Suddenly, the Maybach doesn't seem quite so tacky. :uhoh:

Swoxy
01-06-2003, 02:58 PM
I actually think it's OK, and looks quite modern while being instantly recognisable as a Roller. It's definately not what I was expecting, but it would complement a Maybach 62 quite nicely in the garage! Here's a pic of the interior, which I quite like ...

Genesis2
02-01-2003, 11:50 PM
That looks like an a$s with so 20zzzzzzzzzzzzz

muphasta
02-05-2003, 04:59 PM
BMW put the same butt on that as they did the 745.

Jimster
02-05-2003, 08:02 PM
like pretty much all Rolls Royce product this day and age- ugly beyond hope

Hudson
02-06-2003, 11:03 AM
You folks definitely aren't Rolls-Royce people. The new Phantom IS a Rolls-Royce. The rear end borrows nothing from the 7-Series. BMW did not mess up the design of Rolls-Royce, they gave it back. While I've liked the Silver Spur/Wraith and the Silver Spirit generations, REAL Rolls-Royces haven't been produced since the early 1960s. The new Phantom puts Rolls-Royce back on track. These cars were never meant to be driver's cars, they are meant to be chauffer driven.

The styling of the new Phantom, in person as well as in pictures, harks back to the classic Phantom. It's large and imposing. The bustle back connects this modern car with the classic cars when a trunk was literally a trunk lashed to the back.

This is not the car for people who enjoy driving. It was not intended to be. It is a Rolls-Royce.

Swoxy
02-15-2003, 06:32 AM
I agree completely Hudson! The car is obviously doing well. They're raising the production from one a day to three. Rolls said that they've met all their quality targets and they're currently producting dealer and promotion cars (the first customer car was delivered on 1st January 2003). The next set of customer cars will be ready in April. There's going to be a whole new dealer network, with about 70 around the world by April.

Jimster
02-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Hudson
You folks definitely aren't Rolls-Royce people. The new Phantom IS a Rolls-Royce. The rear end borrows nothing from the 7-Series. BMW did not mess up the design of Rolls-Royce, they gave it back. While I've liked the Silver Spur/Wraith and the Silver Spirit generations, REAL Rolls-Royces haven't been produced since the early 1960s. The new Phantom puts Rolls-Royce back on track. These cars were never meant to be driver's cars, they are meant to be chauffer driven.

The styling of the new Phantom, in person as well as in pictures, harks back to the classic Phantom. It's large and imposing. The bustle back connects this modern car with the classic cars when a trunk was literally a trunk lashed to the back.

This is not the car for people who enjoy driving. It was not intended to be. It is a Rolls-Royce.

Sorry- but the only thing that Rols Royce resembles is Optimus Prime from Transformers :p I definitley see some classic Phantom in there especially in the back half- but they got the front so so so wrong :(

Hudson
02-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Jimster
...but they got the front so so so wrong :(

Oh, I'm not saying that design is perfect...and the front could use some work in my opinion. The new Phantom is, however, closer to a real Rolls-Royce than they've been in decades.

crayzayjay
03-31-2003, 12:02 PM
Im 100% with Hudson. The Phantom is a true Rolls Royce, in the way its engineered and even the way it looks. Its ugly alright, but in a Rolls Royce kind of way, which makes it fine for me. Ill take one of these ahead of the uninspired, cynical Maybach any day of the week.

Whoever said it has the same rear as a 7-series is either drunk, or blind, or both.

muphasta
03-31-2003, 01:21 PM
Actually, I'm neither blind nor drunk. I just meant that it is a very similar rear, in the trunk lid design.

Maybe you should lay off the sauce!!!

crayzayjay
04-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Im keeping well away from the sauce, don’t worry about me

Ok the trunk is protruding on both cars but the effect is nowhere near the same, hence a different butt :D

muphasta
04-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Maybe I should have said that BMW attempted for the same effect on the 745. I don't really care, I can't afford either one!!

crayzayjay
04-08-2003, 08:31 AM
I don’t think BM went for the same kind of effect, they both have “sculpted shoulders” but the end result is very different. Not that it matters, I cant afford either one of them either!

endlesskev86
04-28-2003, 02:11 AM
sick shit

jsb88
10-27-2003, 10:36 AM
I was going past Rolls Royce on park lane earlier this week, and saw a few tourists around it looking, at what I saw to be the new Rolls Royce.
So I just had to go in and have a good look. Very nice salesman talking to me about the car for about 20 minutes, and he gave me a little brochure. he will send me the big ones when they get them.
It is a really nice car, but in photos it looks silly. Its beautiful in the flesh, you just have to understand the scale and dimensions on the car, which you cannot appreciate in any other medium. Extremely comfortable, well laid out, making a neat interior, which has all been very well thought out.

crayzayjay
10-29-2003, 08:05 AM
Much better job than VW have done with the new Bentley imo

Guyanson_Mendiola
11-10-2003, 02:09 PM
it's kind of ugly but i like the Bentley Continental GT better.

phantom V1
11-16-2003, 09:11 AM
Nothing can compare to a RR phantom V1 for comfort and style

993cc Man
11-19-2003, 07:57 PM
I think you're all right! Yes it is in no way beautiful but it is 100% a continuation of the old RRs from the 50s and 60s. On the other hand the new 7 series is plain ugly in my opinion. As for the Maybach is better looking than all of the above but looks just like a bigger S-Class.

PS. today I saw Puff Daddy or whatever his name is in a new Phantom in his new video. Back in the old customer-selection days theres no way the factory would have product-placed their car like that.

titutus
11-20-2003, 02:28 AM
i think too, it's not easy to compare with another car

Swoxy
11-20-2003, 11:53 AM
PS. today I saw Puff Daddy or whatever his name is in a new Phantom in his new video. Back in the old customer-selection days theres no way the factory would have product-placed their car like that.

That's perfect product placement for RR. The western world's view on people that aren't white has changed, as has their perception of those with 'new money'. The likely buyers of the Phantom these days are mostly non-white, and generally with 'new money'. Puff Daddy bought two RRs the other day, what more could any car company want?

crayzayjay
11-21-2003, 04:43 AM
I like your thinking young man!!

Swoxy
11-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Cheers mate. :smile:

993cc Man
11-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Nothing to do with white or black. But yes, it's all about "new" money and commercially speaking placing a Rolls like that is a logical move by BMW.

...and music videos seem to be far more important for new cars to appear in than straight commercials.

kratefan
12-28-2003, 11:56 PM
Oh, I'm not saying that design is perfect...and the front could use some work in my opinion. The new Phantom is, however, closer to a real Rolls-Royce than they've been in decades.
That is true. I once owned a Silver Cloud II and it was gorgeous, the last of the true RR's. It's a shame they couldn't have rounded off the front a bit like the Cloud was.

CarPassionist
02-01-2004, 12:33 PM
I send my greetings to all forum-members! :smile:
Nice to find a good forum to discuss about Rolls-Royce! :bigthumb:

Although I drive BMW and a big BMW fan, I must say the latest creations form the famous bavarians are not what I expect. Unfortunately, the fall in Design-Quality is obvious in the Phantom.

What is left of the finest britsh car maker in the world is the quality and the unmistakable interior.
For me the best ever Rolls ist the following:
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/uploads/143327/Rolls-Royce_Silver_Cloud3_1_.jpg

The Phantom is an unsuccessfull interpretation of th CloudIII :(

Add your comment to this topic!