Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Double clutching in a Murciélago!! (Heel and toe) What it feels like to drive?

JESUS28
01-06-2003, 08:02 AM
I was wondering yesterday about what do you feel when you are experiencing double clutching in a Murciélago.

Murciélago clutch is not like normal clutches, the Murciélago clutch is easier to operate due it do not need get pressed until the end (like in most cars) almost I have understood that... it have been reduced to do easier "kill another car".

So, professional pilots when are entering drives 1st... 2nd .... 3rd they do not do as usually all people do... just press the clucth, just enter the drive and just release the clutch.

They use a professional technique named "double clutching" which INCREASES THE PERFORMANCE of the engine as well as preserves the duration of the car.

Unfortunately I have not many skills in English to explain perfectly how to do double clutching... so I have enclosed here some cool articles....

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Healtoe.html

http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm

http://www.porschenet.com/karen-1.html

http://vista.pca.org/rmr/Training/heelAndToe.html

my question is...

Tony ? Sizziling? ... or other user here with one Murciélago...

Do you have double clutching with the car?

What it feels like to drive when you do that in a Murciélago??

Have you check how it increases the performance?

Greets

Raging Bull
01-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Thanks for that post, an intersting read! i tried it in my opel corsa/vauxhall nova, but didnt have enough room to manouver my legs and feet!! im 6'6" so have a bit of truble fitting in my car!!

While on that topic, how much room is in a murc?? will a person my height fit in comfortably?

Cheers, RB

Menu dei Motori
01-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by JESUS28
I was wondering yesterday about what do you feel when you are experiencing double clutching in a Murciélago.

Murciélago clutch is not like normal clutches, the Murciélago clutch is easier to operate due it do not need get pressed until the end (like in most cars) almost I have understood that... it have been reduced to do easier "kill another car".

So, professional pilots when are entering drives 1st... 2nd .... 3rd they do not do as usually all people do... just press the clucth, just enter the drive and just release the clutch.

They use a professional technique named "double clutching" which INCREASES THE PERFORMANCE of the engine as well as preserves the duration of the car.

Unfortunately I have not many skills in English to explain perfectly how to do double clutching... so I have enclosed here some cool articles....

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Healtoe.html

http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm

http://www.porschenet.com/karen-1.html

http://vista.pca.org/rmr/Training/heelAndToe.html

my question is...

Tony ? Sizziling? ... or other user here with one Murciélago...

Do you have double clutching with the car?

What it feels like to drive when you do that in a Murciélago??

Have you check how it increases the performance?

Greets

thanks jesus..
but i don´t really understand it.
maybe you have to feel it...

texas360modena
01-06-2003, 01:12 PM
Thanks for that post, an intersting read! i tried it in my opel corsa/vauxhall nova, but didnt have enough room to manouver my legs and feet!! im 6'6" so have a bit of truble fitting in my car!!

While on that topic, how much room is in a murc?? will a person my height fit in comfortably?

I'm wondering the same thing because I am 6'5". I know I can not fit in a 02 Lotus Esprit but I can fit very nicely in an 02 911 Turbo. Tony, do you think us tall guys could fit into a Murc? (Sorry its a little off topic Jesus)

JESUS28
01-06-2003, 06:38 PM
My God!

I will never suspect I will be proud to be a guy not very tall :D

I'm only 5' 5" hahahaha ... so almost now I know I will not experience problems double clutching! It seems to be pilots are normally not very tall guys like me

No problem texas360modena and Rangin Bull, I was wondering the same as you but in the contrary case... if guys not very tall fit perfectly in a Murcielago...

I think a company like Audi / Lamborghini will provide the seats with the necessary adjust mechanisms to fit perfectly... the case of Lotus... well Lotus is a very old car and it have an old design so probably they do not have in mind the same quality details actually the brands have in mind.

However, regarding the double clutching and the performance, I was wondering what it feels like to drive, that awesome machine, double clutching.

I have a friend in Spain which is a tester from Porsche and he told me the most important is do the double clutching a habit, a driving habit. It need a lot of practice but when you finally gets it, the performance increases a lot... so I was wondering... a guy with a Murcielago and double clutching must be INVINCIBLE when trafic lights turn green LOL.

And even it is more funny when you drive that way, 'cos you hear the engine doooing BBBBRRRRRROOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM and due the gear go to Neutral position meanwhile you are pressing the clucth... that's the moment you hear the sound... and when you press again slightly the clutch to enter the next drive... then wooow the drive enter directly in the gear box... so it takes seconds of performance which is a very important thing to have in mind when you need to obtain good results racing the car...

I think it must be a real experience in a Murciélago!!

However I still wondering what it feels like to drive when you do that in a machine like a Murcielago

HELP REGARDING THIS MATTER IS WELCOME

Menu dei Motori
01-07-2003, 07:16 AM
tony do you also have that double clutching?

Deakins
01-07-2003, 12:37 PM
Double clutching is useless, unless you drive an old tractor.

Menu dei Motori
01-07-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Deakins
Double clutching is useless, unless you drive an old tractor.

:confused:

Deakins
01-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Gearboxes in cars have been fully synchronized since the '70s.
But then along comes "stupid movie with gay cars in it" and suddenly everybody is double clutching with their '02 ricemobiles. Even when they upshift. :rolleyes:

Menu dei Motori
01-07-2003, 01:24 PM
i don´t know what´s the advantage or disadvantage of this double clutching...
isn´t the normal better?

in some years automatics will be the best

Deakins
01-07-2003, 01:31 PM
There is no advantages to double clutching.
"Heel & Toe" shifting on the other hand is quite effective, when downshifting into a turn that is.

Menu dei Motori
01-07-2003, 01:52 PM
hm ok thx!!!

-FROG-
01-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Deakins
Gearboxes in cars have been fully synchronized since the '70s.
But then along comes "stupid movie with gay cars in it" and suddenly everybody is double clutching with their '02 ricemobiles. Even when they upshift. :rolleyes:

AGREED! The "Fast and the Furious" mentioned "Double Clutching" after a lost race. I can see the advantage for being in the proper gear and speed, etc... going into a turn but othrwise..... Double Clutching seems dumb.

JESUS28
01-07-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm a bit confused with this?

If it is not useful why professional pilots and advanced driving schools l still teaching double clutching techniques to the people?

I have understood it increases the performance. :huh:

-FROG-
01-07-2003, 04:07 PM
It may keep your RPM band at a desired range for performance at a certain needed time but your engine is not going to perform better because you decide to push in your clutch again and rev RPM's up. Your motor won't say "OH WAIT....he's Double Clutching, let me dish out another 50 horsepower of performance".
They did it (or said it) on the "Fast and the Furious". I never hear of ANY streetracers talking about it here in Austin, except for a few rice burners that are still in High School.

Deakins
01-08-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by JESUS28
I'm a bit confused with this?

If it is not useful why professional pilots and advanced driving schools l still teaching double clutching techniques to the people?

I have understood it increases the performance. :huh:

If they spend five extra hours teaching you how to double clutch, they make more money :D

Menu dei Motori
01-08-2003, 06:44 AM
ok..

thanks frog and deakins for that lesson

Tony_Ensemble
01-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Going back a a bit and a bit off topic...

I (along with Jesus) am also 5'5". Murcielago works great with my height. It also works well with a 6'3" friend of mine.

My one problem is that if I have the left blinker on, which means I pull a stick down on the left side of the stearing collum, when I go for the clutch to downshift for the turn my knee hits the blinker back up. I don't know if this is also a problem for tall people. This is probably worse for small people because I drive with the steering wheel adjusted as low as possible so it doesn't obstruct my view. And that causes the blinker stick to be very close to my left knee.

Menu dei Motori
01-09-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Tony_Ensemble

I (along with Jesus) am also 5'5". Murcielago works great with my height. It also works well with a 6'3" friend of mine.

My one problem is that if I have the left blinker on, which means I pull a stick down on the left side of the stearing collum, when I go for the clutch to downshift for the turn my knee hits the blinker back up. I don't know if this is also a problem for tall people. This is probably worse for small people because I drive with the steering wheel adjusted as low as possible so it doesn't obstruct my view. And that causes the blinker stick to be very close to my left knee.

i also have problems in my z3....
i´m 1,81 m and it´s quite the biggest you should be to drive that car

-FROG-
01-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Tony_Ensemble

Maybe you should try raising the steering wheel one click? Just see if you can get used to it. Unless it's unsafe blocking your view. I remember when I put a 4" Cowel hood on my drag Mustang and I had a crick in my neck for about a week trying to get used to seing the road in full view. I finally got used to it and can't seem to figure out why I was making it so difficult in the first place. Once you get used to it, it may make things a little easier for you. Wouldn't want to get rearended because some idiot couldn't tell you were turning. Just a thought.
Also, are you in Austin? I have seen a yellow Murcielago driving around here and just curious if it is you? I have been wanting to meet the driver since I heard he was a pretty cool guy.

Add your comment to this topic!