Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

a testament to quality engineering...

Pages : [1] 2

Chris
09-28-2001, 11:53 AM
FOR HONDA!!!!!
Man, these cars suck so bad. When one mag went to test it, the ditributor broke. One guy went to test drive one, and the radio fell out, the shift nob came off in his hand, and you could see gaps in the weather stripping. And people actually bought them!!!?!??!?!?!?!?!

Heep
09-28-2001, 12:05 PM
To the unknowledgeable, at first it looks like a pleasant little Cabrio from the 80's:

http://media5.motorcities.com/99LLA353326770D.jpg

Then you step inside........

http://media5.motorcities.com/99LLA353326770C.jpg

The dash looks like it's made out of the same cheap plastic that they use to make those fake monitors and keyboards that are in the desks at Staples! It looks like you could poke your finger right through it! :D:D

enginerd
09-28-2001, 12:55 PM
It's a shame, really. Yugo was supposed to be the economic rebirth of then Yugoslavia. Using an aborted fiat project, the founders hoped to spur the economy for poor displaced peasants.

Chris
09-28-2001, 02:19 PM
And the expose metal from the body wasnt there to be fashionable, either. It would rust through in about 40-50 days, just long enough so when you went in for warranty, the company would be bankrupt. Then you would get slush and water and dust and everything come up through the holes. If the wheels didnt fall off. Or the car didnt split in two. Or the gearbox didnt self-destruct, or.... thats enough.

But really, this has had 2 replies in about an hour, pretty good for Yugo:)

Seraph
09-28-2001, 06:22 PM
Does anyone have the performance stats for this?:D :smoker:

Jay!
09-28-2001, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Seraph
Does anyone have the performance stats for this?:D :smoker: A prerequisite for performance stats is performance. :D

Here's your performance: LOL!!! :lol2:

primera man
09-28-2001, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Seraph
Does anyone have the performance stats for this?:D :smoker:

0-60km...in 3 days
0-100km....you must be joking !!
top speed.......95km on a very steep down hill with strong tail wind.

That has got to be the biggest piece of crap i've seen here

DVSNCYNIKL
09-28-2001, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by primera man

0-60km...in 3 days

:hehe::hehe::hehehe::hehehe:

Chris
09-28-2001, 08:11 PM
We used to have a Micra (nissan, not in the states, just Canada and Europe) and its top speed was 120kph (72mph) going down the 1-mile-hill near Marathon, Ontario (halfway up lake superior and DAMN COLD!!!). And it is far superior to the Yugo.

I actually have some stats on a Yugo (not the cabrio, it would be even worse:D) I will post them monday.

Hudson
10-01-2001, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by enginerd
It's a shame, really. Yugo was supposed to be the economic rebirth of then Yugoslavia. Using an aborted fiat project, the founders hoped to spur the economy for poor displaced peasants.

Zastava, the company that produced the Yugo, was bringing great things to the people who built the cars. Yugos sold well in the US (the first year) and was exported to a number of other countries. It, and the model that followed, could have provided the basis for a new economy in Yugoslavia, but the war interrupted that.

The Yugo wasn't based on "an aborted Fiat project." That would lead you to assume that Fiat didn't build it. The Fiat 126 was produced for many years in many countries and became the basis for basic transportation in much of Eastern Europe and South America. It would be better stated that the Yugo was based on ancient Fiat technology.

I'm still looking for a good-condition (a relative term in this case), low-priced (you'd be surprised) Yugo Cabrio for my collection.

Chris
10-01-2001, 12:20 PM
Fiats didnt have the best quality either. The were cheap, 4 grand, 1000 cheaper than Hyundai's and stuff like that. Why do you want a Yugo for, anyway, Hudson?? :confused:

Hudson
10-01-2001, 01:12 PM
There's just something about the Yugo. I've had American, German, English, and Japanese cars...I need a Yugoslavian car to add to the resume. I would like to have a later model FI coupe and I definitely want a Cabrio.

I've found a few Cabrios for sale. The least expensive was $1500, but it had an "R" title and had some minor body damage. It also had been broken into (steering column cover was gone) but since these were only generic Yugo parts, it wasn't a problem. The big problem was that it was missing atleast two Cabrio-exclusive trim pieces...nearly impossible to replace.

The other Cabrios I've located were $6k and $12k (honest).

enginerd
10-01-2001, 01:41 PM
Didn't the same guy who imported the Yugo also import the suicidal Subaru 360?

Hudson: I've seen Yugos on Ebay or you could look for some Yugo chat rooms. Yugo has a cult following in the U.S.

Heep
10-01-2001, 02:12 PM
Hudson: Collection? :) Now you've piqued my interest....what's all in this collection?

If I remeber correctly it was Malcomb Bricklin who brought the Yugo to North America. He was also involved in bring Subaru to North America, and he was the creator of the ill-fated Bricklin SV-1 Safety Sports car (built in my home province, New Brunswick! :D)

Also, Hudson, you said that Yugo was broken into?!? What was that thief thinking? :D:D:D

Hudson
10-01-2001, 04:29 PM
It has been said that Mr. Bricklin made his fortune starting a home improvement supply store chain in Florida back in the 1960s. He sold that and sold some Japanese mopeds that were in storage and nobody seemed able to sell them. This gave him access to other products produced by that company. Bricklin and another gentleman formed Subaru of America to import the Subaru 360 from Japan. After finding them to be more than a bit flawed (for the US market, anyway), he explained to Fuji Heavy that if they didn't allow him to sell the product he wanted to sell in the first place, they'd never sell cars in the US again. He got what he wanted and was able to market the "Star", sold here as the Subaru FF1.

He left SoA to form Bricklin which began production in 1974. In the early 1980s, he formed IAI and gained the rights to import Fiats, after Fiat retreated from the US. He sold the Bertone X1/9 (formerly the Fiat X1/9) and the Pininfarina Azzura (formerly the Fiat 2000 Spider). He added the Yugo in 1985 and had the rights to the Malaysian car Proton, but never imported it.

In the 1990s, Bricklin made the insane claim that he would form a company which would buy up dealerships across the US. His goal was to sell 1-in-10 cars sold in the US. While insane at the time, another company quite nearly pulled off this feat by the end of the 1990s. He was more sane than I gave him credit for.

As for the Yugo, I know there's a cult following. It's an odd bunch of folks and when I get more garage space, I'll probably join their ranks.

My collection is small at the moment, but car show season is coming and, given the right car, I could fill a space in a neighbor's barn. I've got an MG and a Suzuki (car) as well as a Moto Guzzi (moped). I'm looking to add a Yugo Cabrio or Lancia Zagato or any of a dozen other underloved cars.

That Yugo that was "broken into" did intrigue me. Why would someone want to steal one? Wouldn't it be cheaper to actually buy the car than buy the screwdriver necessary to pop the ignition? Heck, syphon the gas from the car and you've already depreciated the value of the car 75%.

Guy walks into a Pep Boys and asks the counterperson: "How about a gas cap for a Yugo?"

Counterperson replies, "sounds like a good trade."

Heep
10-01-2001, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Hudson
That Yugo that was "broken into" did intrigue me. Why would someone want to steal one? Wouldn't it be cheaper to actually buy the car than buy the screwdriver necessary to pop the ignition? Heck, syphon the gas from the car and you've already depreciated the value of the car 75%.

Guy walks into a Pep Boys and asks the counterperson: "How about a gas cap for a Yugo?"

Counterperson replies, "sounds like a good trade."

LOL :hehe::hehe:

I really want an Alfa Romeo Milano Verde V6.....that's fairly un-loved as well.....

enginerd
10-02-2001, 08:59 AM
I must admit, the Yugo has captivated me. For some awful reason I and maybe you feel impelled to post on this board. Discussing the history of the Yugo and the surrounding political and economic climate of the world's worst car seem perfectly normal to me. I would like to have one just for posterity reasons even though I don't have access to storage for one I would like to own one (just for curiosity).

Hudson
10-02-2001, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Heep
I really want an Alfa Romeo Milano Verde V6.....that's fairly un-loved as well.....

I like most Alfa Romeo models. For the Milano, however, my feelings waver back and forth. I like it sometimes and other times, I don't like the disjointed styling...the upswing on the body side stripe after the rear doors throws me off.

I forget, was the Verde the top model or the base one? Was it the one with the 3.0L V6, or was that the Platinum? A 3.0L with a 5-speed would be very nice. Also, I like the GTV6.

Heep
10-02-2001, 12:08 PM
I'm not sure about the Platinum and it's options, but the Verde is the top model with the 3.0 V6. It also has the subtle factory bodykit where that stripe that extends the length of the car sticks out the back a little to form a small lip spoiler. I think that all the Verdes were V6 5-speeds, and the others offered and auto. But apparently only 839 Verdes were imported into North America.

I'm also a huge fan of the 156, but I hate how it's front drive :mad:

Anyways, I must say that the Yugo I posted has nice wheels......

Chris
10-02-2001, 01:46 PM
The guy asking 12 grand for a Yugo better lay off on his crack pipe!!

I can see why there would be a cult, i am in love with Minis (although I have a reason), and the Fiat 500. There are a bunch more, but it doesnt really matter.

Proton is still around, so does Mr. Bricklin still have some money?? Or did he just sell it and cut his losses?

GTG, Library closing.

cas8_1999
10-07-2001, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by primera man

0-60km...in 3 days

lmao

Hudson
10-10-2001, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Chris
The guy asking 12 grand for a Yugo better lay off on his crack pipe!!

I can see why there would be a cult, i am in love with Minis (although I have a reason), and the Fiat 500. There are a bunch more, but it doesnt really matter.

Proton is still around, so does Mr. Bricklin still have some money?? Or did he just sell it and cut his losses?

GTG, Library closing.

Surprisingly, people who know about Cabrios don't think that $12k is a drug-induced price. It's an extremely rare car (about 70 made) and there is some demand for them.

Yes, Proton is still around. They're the national car of Malaysia and they own Lotus. Bricklin never owned Proton, he owned the importation rights to the company. I don't have a clue what that would be worth...if anything.

Proton will be sold in the US, it's just a matter of time. My guess would be within 10 years, unless someone buys them.

Heep
10-10-2001, 01:29 PM
That new Proton GTi is a nifty looking hot hatch...I just don't know if the average American would buy into it...damn average Americans! :D:D

Chris
10-11-2001, 12:41 PM
If there were only 70 built, then I can see why you would want one. Still, it sucks by any measureable means.
I knew proton was still around, my british auto rag calls them crap, but they are cheap.
They wouldnt sell well here, and i wouldn't buy one. A lot of Europeans dont buy them, either.

Although I am glad Lotus has managed to stay good, and not be influenced too badly by proton.

Seraph
10-12-2001, 02:42 AM
Proton makes old versions of Mitsubishi (Lancer and Mirage) so its no wonder it wont sell in Europe, since even original Japanese cars dont sell there at all ( except for the relative sucess of the Yaris, in all other market segment they are trailing behind by a mile)
I doubt it would sell in US also, however it might be competition for cars like Saturn and Chrysler Neon..

Seraph
10-12-2001, 02:44 AM
And why would you want a Yugo Cabrio, even if there were only 70 of them made? You can probably buy a normal one and chop off the roof - same effect

Heep
10-12-2001, 11:40 AM
Lol :D:D

I wonder if Yugo even did any chassis stiffening to the factory Cabrios...

Chris
10-12-2001, 04:14 PM
chassis and stiffness arent in Yugo's vocabulary. Neither is engineering, comfort, performance, etc, etc....

Jay!
10-12-2001, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Chris
chassis and stiffness arent in Yugo's vocabulary. Neither is engineering, comfort, performance, etc, etc.... I'm surprised they figured out "automobile" or even "car." :rolleyes:

Chris
10-12-2001, 05:36 PM
Car?? Thats what we were supposed to be making??? Oh crap!!!:eek:

91HBSi
12-08-2001, 10:27 PM
Bahahaha, this forum rocks!!! I think I found a new home :)
Oh yeah I liked your Type-R stickering on that Yugo JAY.

I always wanted a Yugo for some reason. I would like to drop in a B16a or B18c. That would be one quick little Yugo.

Dustin_S
12-22-2001, 12:28 PM
I always wanted a Yugo for some reason. I would like to drop in a B16a or B18c. That would be one quick little Yugo.

it seems to me, that would be one very deadly car...
:D

EightOhOne
12-29-2001, 06:00 PM
who knows, it could be halfway reliable too, with that swap:D

Dustin_S
12-29-2001, 08:22 PM
you could keep the Radio from flying out of the dashboard and gouging out your eyeball. :eek: :cool: :D :p

Sham365
01-17-2002, 10:28 AM
The Yugo...That's a bad mamma jamma!

I mean BAD in a BAD way.

YUCK

tommy saleen
01-21-2002, 08:58 PM
http://www.highway-one.com/Images/Photos/Yugo/Yugo2.jpg A New Yugo Cabrio...
A "Classic" Car With a Tainted Reputation That Deserves a Good Home
During its short life, the Yugoslavian agency that made the Yugo produced just 500 Cabrios for export to the United States. Today it is a very rare convertible. Rarer still is the red 1990 Cabrio "cabriolet" shown here with gray interior (1990 was the last year the Yugo was imported). It has never been registered nor driven on the road. It has just 78 miles on the odometer. There is no wear anywhere...interior, under the hood, the top, the tires. There are no scratches and no dings.

The Yugo suffered from a well-deserved reputation for poor workmanship. Quality control was virtually unknown in the communist bloc, and the Yugo was a prime manifestation. Many Yugos began falling apart soon after leaving the showroom, and it became the frequent brunt of comedy club humor.

The brand new Yugo convertible pictured here believed to be the last of its kind in this condition. It is presently on display somewhere in rural America. The owner has decided to offer it to someone with a sense of humor and an appreciation of the abberations in automotive history, who recognizes an investment opportunity, and who is able to pay the cash-only price of $20,000.

Because of the automobile's reputation as a lemon, this classic convertible can only increase in value. It should not be registered. Every effort should be made to maintain it in its present condition. It should be displayed as one would display an heirloom in a museum, behind cordons and under spotlights, to be both admired and to provide a chuckle.

Hudson
01-22-2002, 01:12 PM
I don't know where your information came from, but they built far fewer than 500 Cabrios. The number is actually under 100 (closer to 80).

I've heard of registered Cabrios selling for around $12,000...people trying to liquidate Cabrios at $6k...and an "R" titled Cabrio at $1,500.

Jimster
01-22-2002, 05:36 PM
Well they probably did make 500 but only 85 have not rotted away yet

fearless_simian
03-20-2002, 04:56 AM
q: how do you double the value of a yugo?
a: put a carton of milk in the back.

a guy walks into a auto shop with a yugo and says can I have a wiper blade for my yugo.
the dealer answers sure but you will have to toss in $15 bucks in the trade.

PLAYA_20
03-30-2002, 05:25 PM
MAN ITS BEEN A DREAM TO OWN A YUGO EVER SINCE I SAW IT ITS A REAL BEAUTY

:D :hehehe: LOL

Sadiztik
06-09-2002, 11:03 PM
http://digilander.iol.it/cuoccimix/zoragy2.jpg
http://digilander.iol.it/cuoccimix/zoragy1c.jpg
http://digilander.iol.it/cuoccimix/zoragy1.jpg

I'd buy this Yugo

it has a Golf GTI engine

91HBSi
06-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Ewww, I would rather the Cabrio... 'cause that thing is guly :eek:

Sadiztik
06-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Its all a matter of taste

oh yeah purehonda.org is up again

YellowMaranello
06-10-2002, 04:19 PM
That last thing is fugly. It looks like it should be fast, but it probably isnt as fast as it looks. At least the cabrio looks slow and crappy, which is why I want 3.:D

91HBSi
06-10-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by YellowMaranello
That last thing is fugly. It looks like it should be fast, but it probably isnt as fast as it looks. At least the cabrio looks slow and crappy, which is why I want 3.:D

Lol, man I just have to compliment you on your sig. one more time. I can't get enough of it

YellowMaranello
06-11-2002, 02:44 PM
haha, thanks man.:D :D

HillbilySailor
06-11-2002, 10:44 PM
You probably have to shove that racey looking thing off a cliff to get it to go fast, just like the original Yugo! lol Seriously though, I knew a guy that used to sell those damn things used (or "pre-owned"! lol). He made a killing there for a while. Didn't take long for his market to dry up though! lol By the way, that is a cool sig Yellow! :silly2:

TerminalVelocity
07-14-2002, 05:27 PM
yah, I too like the post

yam

jsb88
09-10-2002, 03:34 PM
lol a yugo i swear....

HillbilySailor
09-15-2002, 08:36 AM
Wow! A Yugo I would actually drive! lol:eek:

Cbass
09-29-2002, 07:49 AM
No way is that a yugo. Nobody would put that kind of money into a yugo.

YellowMaranello
09-29-2002, 01:27 PM
I would.

Cbass
10-01-2002, 03:29 AM
Nah, you're just delerious... with the fever and whatnot...

YellowMaranello
10-01-2002, 10:06 AM
Don't believe me? Give me a Yugo and alot of money and I can turn it into a Jag, but of course, I get to keep it.:p

Cbass
10-11-2002, 07:55 AM
Oh it's not that I don't believe you... :rolleyes:

Have you been getting outside the cabin much this year? :D

If you're standing in dense underbrush in your underwear hundreds of miles from town, try not to think about what other words have under in them. Thats the first sign of Jungle Madness.

YellowMaranello
10-11-2002, 01:23 PM
UNDERWEAR! Thats what I've been missing all this time. No wonder I can't find anyone to play with....:rolleyes:

jsb88
10-12-2002, 04:43 AM
um... just a shirt and trousers then? ok...

YellowMaranello
10-12-2002, 10:59 AM
SHIRT AND TROUSERS!!! Man, I'm really out of the swing of all this new-fangled technology.:bloated:

lowridder11
01-09-2003, 03:33 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!:hehehe:
good one!

jsb88
01-10-2003, 10:26 AM

Add your comment to this topic!